Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I'm hoping someone can assist me with a sudden Win 7 boot up issue on Dell Studio laptop.... which **coincidentally** just came off its one year warranty ONE WEEK ago.

It's actually my cousin's laptop who is attending college, and needs this up and running rather quickly.
His brother took a whack at it by trying to install an OEM copy of Win 7 64 bit, but had no luck. He also had attempted to perform the Dell Datasafe recovery, but he stated it was not working. And since it did not come with recovery discs.... nope, they did not create their own.
(note to self, remind other family members to create their win 7 recovery discs!!!!)

Then the laptop came to me. I immediately tried the same Dell datasafe recovery steps (using F8 and choosing Repair your computer), but it was so - incredibly - slow.... that after I chose Repair your computer from the F8 menu, it just went to a blank, black screen. I let it sit for almost an hour, no response.

I did some digging online then went into the BIOS, and disabled any / all devices.
Rebooted, tried F8 repair again, and this time was able to proceed. But, upon choosing next, etc.... it did not present me with the options that Dell says should be there (as described here - Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 | Dell ).

I did not have an option named "Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe options"
This is the menu I arrived at... standard Win 7 System recovery :
http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/r...n/66b9e3c2-bb67-47bf-802c-b753b54bcc19_48.jpg

And so, here are the additional details of where it stands now....... I appreciate your help.

Dell Studio 1747
Win 7 (i believe it came with 64 bit)

When you boot up, it repeatedly comes to 2 options:
- Launch Startup repair (recommended)
- Start Windows normally

When I choose to start normally, it passes the Dell logo splash screen, a split second (literally) flash of a blue screen error, and then immediately reboots.

After taking a video of the boot up and stopping on that frame, this is the error:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard......" and then the rest of the message fades.
At that point, it performed the immediate reboot.

Upon reboot, it comes the same 2 options above.
- Launch Startup repair (recommended)
- Start Windows normally

I've tried the Dell steps to enter their Recovery partition (which does seem to exist as a partition) by pressing Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo.
But the same exact symptoms occur as above....quick flash of the blue screen error, then reboots.

I've run the Startup repair a few times, all with the same result. Signature and repair log provided below......

(one thing that caught my attention was the repair log showing the windows directory location as D:\windows ?? )

=============================================
Startup Repair
Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200406
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 6
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Vresion: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log details :
------------------------
Last successful boot time: 8/31/2011 9:02:58 AM
Number of repair attempts: 6

------------------------
Session details
------------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = D:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 171 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 47 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 203 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 421 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Event log diagnosis
Time taken = 47 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Internal state check
Time taken = 16 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Boot status test
Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Setup state check
Time taken = 437 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Registry hives test
Time taken = 2106 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Windows boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Bugcheck analysis
Time taken = 780 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Access control test
Time taken = 22074 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: File system test (chkdsk)
Time taken = 20826 ms

Test Performed:
------------------------
Name: Software installation log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found:
------------------------
A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting.

Once again, I appreciate any help to get this thing back on its feet.
Thanks.
Mike

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
What was the previous operating system?
You mention that this person attempted to install an OEM copy of W7 64 bit, on top of a system that you "think" had W7 64 bit already on it.
If I am wrong in this, please tell me. If I am right, why?

There may be ways to get to the Dell reinstall routine, but generally, all will be lost. I am assuming that you do not want this.

The real situation is this, please double check that both versions are of the 64 bit nature. 32 bit, and 64 bit conversion will cause data loss.

If both are 64 bit, then I think that we can get through this, with a reinstall, and the data being saved into a windows old folder.

Pat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pat, thanks for your response.

I confirmed some info for your questions, please see responses below....

What was the previous operating system?
You mention that this person attempted to install an OEM copy of W7 64 bit, on top of a system that you "think" had W7 64 bit already on it.
If I am wrong in this, please tell me. If I am right, why?
--- original OS was Win 7 - 64 bit, originally installed with the system from dell.
The reason it came to this point was the system acting very slowly. More importantly, whenever they launched any application, it crashed. They had attempted to run an avast virus scan on several occasions, but only managed to get it started once....and that time it took 6 hours to only get thru 3% completed.

There may be ways to get to the Dell reinstall routine, but generally, all will be lost. I am assuming that you do not want this.
--- At this point, it's possible that everything is already lost due to my cousin's attempt to install Win7 OEM. It we can keep the data, great.

Thanks
Mike

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
During the reinstall phase, did you happen to format the disk? It may be a viable option, as it seems that some serious corruption may be occurring with 2 overlapping systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Pat,
I had formatted the partition originally, but with no luck. Tried formatting it a second time... which got me further, but still ran into extreme slowness.

I decided to email Dell this time, and explained the situation, and my disappointment in seeing this much trouble with a system that was only a week out of warranty. After some further back and forth, and them realizing that it actually was NOT out of warranty based on the first day we called for support..... a new hard drive was sent and is now installed.

Thanks again for your efforts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.