Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vista settings

I need to set my laptop back to factory settings, i have pressed f8 hit enter at the "repair my computer" it just goes on to boot up normally, what do i do now?:upset:

·
Awesom-O 4000
1,241 Posts
Re: vista settings

Depends on the manufacturer of the computer.

Try F11 or read the logo screen when you turn it on and it will say something like F10 = setup, F11 = recovery

You want the recovery option. It is not F8 on any machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a dell vostro 1500 that i am trying to get back to factory settings, i hit the "f8" and and enter on the "repair my computer" option and it just boots up normally so what now?:upset:

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
maybe your boot file is corrupt.
When windows boots up, open a command prompt and type:
bcdedit /export bcdstore.txt

Then open the bcdstore.txt file and post the contents. I can help you rebuild the repair option on your computer.

To make sure, open my computer and see if you have a drive there labeled "Restore"

Let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am a novice but thanks for your time, i would not even begin to know how to open a command prompt let alone find and post hat you need, so i'll just take it to best buy and have them fix it, i was hoping it was something simple, guess not, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
962 Posts
to open cmd. start > all programs > system tools > right click on "command prompt" and run as administraitor. copy and paste idtents instructions, and hit enter.

·
Registered
962 Posts
try this
start > click user name > click on file. notepad will open click the edit button click select all click the edit button again. click copy. come here and paste it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes i have a drive labeled restore but that is just my d drive and is a shadow copy of my last back up witch i do not have one right now it does not reset the computer, i have a bad virus in it right now that has infected most of my files the last time this happened i just reset it to the original factory set up witch deleted all of the files and i was good this is what i am trying to do now, also i i copied from notebook but when i come here to paste the paste is not highlighted

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.