Tech Support banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a DELL E172FPI monitor leftover from a friend. I bought a VGA to USB adapter so that I could use it for my laptop Acer Predator Helios 300 (I have a smaller HDMI port, so I didn't find an adapter for that).

As soon as the VGA cable is plugged into the monitor, the monitor goes blank. Whenever I try to access the menu, it just says "In Power Saving Mode, Press any key or on the keyboard or use your mouse" even if the monitor isn't plugged into my laptop.

Whenever I plugged it for the first time, the laptop did recognise the monitor and I installed the driver. The laptop could tell that there was another monitor plugged in, but could not detect it.

I did everything I can think of - went deeply into display settings, updated the driver, uninstalled the driver, plugged the power cable and VGA input out of the monitor, then turned it on again, held the power button.

Nothing works, at this point I'm wondering if I should even bother at all, and I'm not sure if the VGA cable is the problem so I wanted to ask before maybe buying a new one.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,468 Posts
I would first make sure the monitor works at all by exchanging it on a PC (or even using dual booting).

·
Super Moderator Hardware Team
13,151 Posts
I first would make sure the monitor works on a desktop. I would like to see a picture of all ports on the laptop. You sure the port you think is a mini hdmi is not usb - c port

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I first would make sure the monitor works on a desktop. I would like to see a picture of all ports on the laptop. You sure the port you think is a mini hdmi is not usb - c port

Here are the ports!
I sadly don't have a desktop where I can test it out.

·
Super Moderator Hardware Team
13,151 Posts
Looks like a hdmi port in first picture one next to blue usb port
So I would try hdmi to vga cable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts