Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to hook up this laptop to the TV using a hdmi cable so I would have picture and sound through the TV. I bought this cable, but it will not work. This laptop only has a VGA hookup. It will show a picture with the VGA cable, with the laptop sound which is too low. I am able to hook up a bluetooth speaker, but I am wondering why the adapter cable won't work.

Anyone have any idea why it won't work? Thanks for reading my post. :geek:

S/T H0VC4M1

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I know ... that is why I want the adapter cable to work. :unsure:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ... I see now. Didn't understand at first. So it will not matter even if the adapter cable does work I still would not get sound through the TV. Still I wonder why I can't get video with the adapter.:unsure: Luckily unlike my dell e5420 laptop I got working bluetooth and I can use a BT speaker for sound. Thanks for reading my post.
:D

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,593 Posts
That adapter won't work because it's a HDMI to VGA converter. It takes IN digital HDMI signals and OUTPUTS an analog VGA signal. The page you linked clearly states "It is NOT a bi-directional converter and cannot transmit signals from VGA to HDMI " Your laptop's VGA output will NOT be converted to HDMI output. For that, you need the opposite of this cable, a VGA to HDMI adapter/converter. If you get one with audio input (takes audio from your laptop), you will get sound in the HDMI signal coming out of the VGA to HDMI converter.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow ... I didn't see that part about it not being a bi-directional. I thought VGA to HDMI cable bam that's it. Should have known it would be more than that. What the heck is that cable good for then? In what situation would it work?

At any rate thanks so much for clearing that up for me.:D

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
You can run a separate audio cable from the laptop to the TV or your Stereo. Then you would get picture with the VGA adapter and sound thru the separate audio cable.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Stan ... if I had a hdmi port on the laptop and hooked that cable up to the vga on a tv it would work? Correct me if I am wrong.
spunk ... what I did was used a vga cable to hook the laptop to the TV and use a bluetooth speaker for the sound. I got what I wanted just had to do it a little bit different.:geek:

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
As stated. VGA only delivers video signal. So what ever end the VGA cable is on, it will not deliver Audio.
What you did is fine, you also could have used an Y audio cable from the Mini headphone jack of the laptop to the Red and White RCA Audio inputs of the TV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts