Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys :wavey:

How are you all? A little busy with college work these days. Been offline a while.

I have a Dell Latitude D630. I love. It is 7 years old. It still works like a charm. It runs Arch Linux at the moment. I know it might be time to get a new one but I love this one too much. I am considering upgrading the RAM to 4GB (2x2GB). I wanted to know how I can make sure if the RAM I buy is fully compatible with my motherboard. Also, how do I install them correctly?

I have my eyes set on G.SKILL Model F2-5300CL5S-2GBSK Laptop Memory - Newegg.com or 2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 upgrades for Dell Latitude D630 Laptop/Notebook, CT2344598 from Crucial.com Which one do you think would be better for my laptop?

Any other information you need?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Using Crucial with OEM Mobo's is the best option to insure compatibility. OEM Mobo's are often selective about RAM compatibility.
RAM should be installed in matched pairs and not mixed with RAM of different brand/specs to avoid problems.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
4GB will probably be enough. Crucial is rarely mistaken so the Bios may need an update to accept the 2x4GB. :confused:

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Crucial ships worldwide. You can use any brand you want, but
Using Crucial with OEM Mobo's is the best option to insure compatibility. OEM Mobo's are often selective about RAM compatibility.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
My apologies. You can't find Crucial brand form any site that ships to your location? G.Skill is great RAM but, as has been noted, OEM Mobo's can have problems.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I have no idea about the site. Perhaps someone else has had some experience with it and will chime in.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Dell Latitude D630 Complete Upgrade

I have decided to go for a Crucial 2x2GB 800MHz 200 pin SO-DIMM. One final time, is this sure to work on my laptop?

I read somewhere 667MHz and 800 MHz doesn't make much of a difference. Is it true? The more I research, the more confused I get!

Now for an SSD! Can I use an SSD along with my existing HDD? What would be a good choice?

What else can improve the performance of my laptop?

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,324 Posts
I would not spend a lot of cash on a 7 year old laptop, and from what I can see your ram choices are limited it would either be the gskill,corsair or kingston I saw a couple of others but know nothing about the make.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
68,324 Posts
It might be an idea to check if you need to update the bios,your ssd works out around £66.50 which is fair given their price the ram £37 you could likely find a tablet around that price which would be easier to lug around

·
68,324 Posts
Well she could get the crucial ram plenty of sellers on Ebay 200-PIN Sodimm, DDR2 PC2-6400 | eBay The SSD price is as good as you get.
and you could look at the Hudl which is £119 new from Tesco or £89 refurbished from the Tesco outlet on Ebay and a full years warranty. I have one which runs very well.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Laptops only have room for one Hdd.
If he doesn't need his optical drive, he can replace it with a second HDD.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.