Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:frown: I have researched the TECH SUPPORT FORUMS for any ideas how to fix my problem, and none of them work. I've tried rebooting from the recovery disks and they don't work. It won't start in safe mode (or any of the other options there), and I can't get it to boot to the last known good configuration. Needless to say, I don't even come close to getting the option to restore the computer to a previous point. I ran a system test (holding down the FN key while turning the computer on) and everything passed, so I'm pretty sure it's just Windows 7 not loading completely. The computer starts to boot, but freezes with a blue screen (not completely blue - not screen of death, it has some windows type swirls and a large cursor.) If my recovery disks don't work - what options do I have. Other than a factory reset, I'm at a loss what to try next. Any ideas????? HELP!!! :frown: Using a Dell Inspiron 1749 with Windows 7 Home Edition.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said .. It won't boot from recovery or repair disks & I can't get to system restore, safe mode or anything else. Only see windows trying to load and freezes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the boot order so the CD/DVD would be first and it sounded like it was working. No matter what I do, or what mode I try to reboot in, or "set back to last good configuration".....everything ends up the same. The best way I can describe it is...the system tries to boot up, shows the Dell logo screen, shows the Microsoft loading windows screen, and then goes to what would be the blue Windows Welcome screen. But the word welcome never appears and I can't get anything to get past this screen. I have a feeling an automatic update has caused this since the whole things started when my husband was re-booting this morning (something we do daily since the laptop is constantly on.)

·
Decessit
68,879 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have done everything I have ever heard about that might help.....tapping F2, tapping F8, tapping F10, tapping F11, tapping F12. NOTHING that any of these screens offers will get me past the same point of the "welcome screen" without the word welcome. That's where it freezes. I would love to restore it to another time/date, put it back to the last good configuration, boot in Safe Mode (or any other option on that screen). No matter what I try, I end up back at the blue Windows Welcome screen (without the word Welcome) and that's it. A windows repair disk, and the recovery disks did the same thing when I booted from the CD/DVD. I have run a diagnostic 2 different ways, and everything passes, so I doubt it's a a hardware problem. Believe me when I say, I researched this for 3 hours this morning and tried everything I could find written about freezing, blue screen of death, black screen, etc.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't figure out how to do a full restore. I can't do anything but get the blue Welcome screen. The CD/DVD drive is recognized, but nothing can run from it - just goes to blue screen. Since I can't start the hard drive in any mode that works, I'm stuck. The only choice I ever have is to "Boot Windows Normally" (which doesn't get past the blue screen) or try to repair Windows (which also doesn't go anywhere except to the blue screen.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,557 Posts
Since you can't change the boot order of the computer I would have to say your hard drive is failing.

Changing the boot order should make the laptop lock up.

I recommend replacing the hard drive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi flydonna

My name is Vishal and i work for the Social Media and Community Team at dell. I would be glad to help you to perform a full restore which can be accessed from the recovery partition. Please send me a private message with your system service tag and name on the account so that i can assist you further.

Thanks
Dell-Vishal S
Social Media Responder

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is nothing wrong with my hard drive. I just took it to a friend that is a "geek" and offered to look at it. Somehow (with Windows 7 disks or something) he got into the computer, checked everything out, including the hard drive, and he says everything is working just fine now.....which tells him it was a failed windows update that occurred during boot up. That's exactly what I thought it was, but couldn't figure out how to get past it. My husband was using the computer, shut it down to reboot for the day and BAM - that's when it happened. Since I knew he didn't load any new programs or make any changes, it had to be something that happened automatically. As of now, the laptop is running fine and I have turned off automatic updates. I'll wait for Service Packs to update Windows from now on. Thanks for the attempts to help. Just wish I were as smart as my friend - who just happened to be in town for the day. He had it fixed in 20 minutes - I tried like heck for 3 hours to figure out what to do. Life isn't fair!!! HA!

·
Decessit
68,879 Posts
Glad to hear you have it back up and running, just as a matter of curiosity did your husband check before rebooting that there was nothing updating it is easy to forget

·
Registered
23 Posts
Worked on a friends laptop last year, had same problem. He had vista on his and turned it off in the middle of a service pack update and fubared it. His I had to remove the hard drive and copy all his files and reinstall from the restore partition and put everything back.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I doubt he paid any attention to it. But rebooting during an update sure could screw things up. From now on we won't have that as a possibility since I shut off auto updates.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've already set Automatic Updates to notify me when there are updates, but let me decide when to install them. The only reason I didn't say NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES, is that I want a reminder once in a while to go look at Windows Updates and see if there is a Service Pack available. The computer is home from my friend and working like it is supposed to.....so I think this thread can be considered CLOSED.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.