Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

Thank the man above for having a computer at work...

My laptop at home (Dell Inspiron 5000, Windows 98 SE) was happily chugging along last night. I then went to type another address in the Mozilla Firefox browser and nothing happened. The mouse (touchpad) works perfectly fine but it's completely unresponsive to the keyboard. So I shut it down, only to not be able to reboot because since the keyboard doesn't work, I can't type the BIOS password! ARGGHHH!!!
I've never had this problem with my laptop before.... any suggestions???

:sad:

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Try plugging in a PS/2 or USB keyboard, then go into Windows safe mode to check for any problems in device manager.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is this unit under warranty? If so contact Dell Tech support. If the keyboard is bad they will have it replaced.

It could be a loose connection on the systemboard. Dells are notorious for coming loose. If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, simply call Dell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it just needed a nap?

So I tried booting up again this morning, but I still was unable to type in the BIOS password box to even get it up and running.

After work I started it up again and Mr. Keyboard decided to work :4-dontkno

Before knowing it would boot up just fine this evening I did make a pit stop at the local Computer store. However when I went to purchase a cheapo keyboard to connect via USB, none of them were functional with Windows 98 SE! The tech people suggested that I either take out the battery for a bit so it resets the BIOS password and that goes away, thus I can at least boot my machine. Well so much for that... either way I'm going to turn off the BIos password just in case the keyboard decides to lock up on me again.

I think this is a sign to get a new laptop... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
BIOS passwords are a bad idea in IMHO.

Windows 98 has to have drivers for everything.

Yes, It might be time for a new laptop. They are out there with some great prices and new features.

I still think a experienced tech should check the keyboard for a loose connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.