Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new motherboard and when I turn the computer on it begins to start and then shuts down after a few seconds. It sounds like the hard drive is starting up also. One time I tired starting it the monitor came up with a white screen, but the computer wouldn't do anything else. I'd appreciate any help!
Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
First I would open up and put everything back together. Examine the cables. Make sure they are not scratched or damaged in anyway. Also one question why did you change your motherbord ? what was the problem before ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dell Inspiron 4000 Motherboard.

I replaced the motherbord because the plug for the power supply broke off. It was given to me by a friend and it looks as if someone else worked on it. Anyway... I replaced the motherboard and the keyboard.

Like I said. It sounds like it starts up and then goes off after about 3 seconds. Every once in a while I'll get a white screen, other than that I get nothing on the screen. I can't hit the setup key to go into BIOS. Dell's website says when you replace the motherboard you have to update the BIOS. I don't have floppy drive on this computer to do that, but I do have the update program. The computer is plugged in and the battery is charging.

thanks for you help!

P

·
0 Posts
Do you have a cd burner that you have access to ?

Burn in on a cd. You ll need to create a bootable BIOS ISO Image File. I hope you have nero too :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dell Inspiron 4000

I borrowed my friend's floppy drive and try to boot up to the disk. It won't boot. Sometimes it will start up with a white screen and I can hear it reading the floppy, but it doesn't display anything... Then it's hard to shut it down. I can't even do ctrl-alt-delete to restart it.

P

·
0 Posts
Then as i said above you will need to open it up and examine the connections and cable ends. Lets hope not you have a problem with the screen....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man... The screen was working before with the old motherboard. I will take it apart and check all connections. Thanks...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked all the connections and they are correct. The company I bought the motherboard off of said it sounds like it's the RAM or CPU. So I plugged the old motherboard back in to try it. The only thing wrong with the old motherboard was the power supply plug was broken off the motherboard. The computer ran until the battery went dead. Anyway, when I put the old motherboad in I got the same problem and started it with a charged battery... When I start the computer all I get is a white screen. Could the new motherboard have been defective and ruined my RAM or CPU?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent the motherboard back to the person I bought it. he is supposed to check it out. He's also checking the RAM and CPU. The original problem I had with it was it would start and then after 3 seconds shut down. I read on a companies website that repair computers that it was a problem with the motherboard. In their advertisement the were mentioning the things that they fixed and they said "the 3 second start and stop"... So I'm assuming the motherboard I got was defective. Anyway... I should know by next week. I shipped it back on Wednesday. I do appreciate everyone's help on this matter... and who knows, next week when I put the thing back together I may need some more help! Thanks! I appreciate it!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.