Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 with Windows 7 and 4 GB memory. It has been working as it should until yesterday. Yesterday my cat knocked over my soft drink (not much left) and some if the drink spilled onto my keyboard. I did what I could to dry it. I turned it off and drained the liquid, wiped it off and then when I started it again, the screen went to all colors mixed in a sideways pattern and the computer would not pass POST. The Caps Lock light flashed for a while and then the computer turned-off. I let it rest. this morning when turning it on it started great (asking if I wanted to start in safe mode). I said no and it worked fine for about an hour. Then suddenly the screen again went crazy again. I shut it down waited a short while and pressed power on. Nothing happened except the Caps Lock light flashed and the after a short time, the computer shut down. At this time pressing the power on button only gets me a flashing caps lock LED for a while then nothing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have made a cardinal error. When dealing with waterlogged(or cola soaked) electronics, it is best to let them dry as long as possible before attempting to turn them back on. Any remaining moisture may have caused shorts and blown compnents (in what sounds like the monitor control circuit on the motherboard) as the heat dried the moisture during the hour.

Recommendation: Open all the ports you can, hard drive cover, ram etc. Let it dry for 2 weeks in a dry place out of sunlight and away from excessive heat sources. Remove harddrive and ram chips if possible to encourage drying.

If that doesn't work it is time for internal cleaning to determine if/where shorts have occurred to determine if the computer is salvagable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.