Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I'm not sure where to put this request, thought since the Dell Inspiron 15 is running Windows 10 (including latest update) that there might be a conflict between the desktop and the keyboard down in the nuts and bolts somewhere. I can turn the machine on, the capslock light comes on, SOMETIMES the keyboard works well enough to input the pin to get the desktop booted up. Sometimes I have to go through steps to get the touch screen keyboard up in order to input the pin. However, as soon as the desktop is active, the keyboard no longer works. I've updated the drivers, don't know what else to do. When I try a search online for a solution, I get differing ideas on how to solve the problem. I've tried resetting the BIOS to default settings, that didn't work. Any and all help will be much appreciated. I really need the keyboard to be working, my kids do their homework on my laptop.

Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi jillocity

A lot of the newer Inspiron 15's are "2-in-1" devices - they can switch between acting like tablets and acting like laptops ... on those with detachable screens, the mode will usually ask what mode you'd like if you detach the screen (to use it as a tablet).

When in tablet mode, the keyboard built into the bottom case of the laptop won't work (it will expect you to use the onscreen keyboard).

It sounds like you'd like to have your Inspiron start in desktop mode. Here's an article that tells you how to set that:
Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when Sign in - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

There is also an easy way to "toggle" between the two modes using Windows 10's "Notification Center" (there's a Tablet Mode icon on it)
How to Toggle Between the Desktop and Tablet Mode in Windows 10 - dummies

It is possible that your Inspiron is trying to switch between modes automatically (part of a feature called "Continuum") ... but it might be switching at times that you don't want it to. To change a setting that makes Windows ask you before changing from Desktop mode to Tablet mode, see the following article:
Tablet Mode Ask to Switch - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I'm guessing that the keyboard itself is OK and undamaged. Since it is working fine when it is available, I'm also guessing that it is just a simple Tablet Mode glitch that you are experiencing. I think changing a few settings (as shown in the articles) should get you going again.

Let us know if you have questions.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi all

If the problem is due to your laptop being in Tablet Mode when you'd like it to be in Desktop Mode, the three links should help you with that.

Let us know if those adjustments don't help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.