Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
An Old Woman In Comfortable Shoes
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wellsir ... the laptop will of course shut down due to overheating. I tested the fan and it is functioning. The motherboard has been replaced recently.

So far my only solution is to run an external fan next to it to keep it from overheating. Works so far, but I don't understand why it is overheating. Motherboard again?:unsure::cry::rolleyes:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it elevated on two wooden blocks to allow air to flow underneath, but it doesn't help.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,814 Posts
As stated, the quick, easy and cheap fix is to use a Laptop Cooling Pad.
You can also install the Dell Power Manager app set the Thermal Management settings to Cool. As well as Update the Bios to the latest version from the driver download page.
You can download the CoreTemp app to view your temperatures while you are running the computer.
Other then that, when you replaced the motherboard did your reapply Thermal Paste between the Processor and Heat Sync? You may need to disassemble the Dell Inspiron 1764 laptop, clean off the Thermal Paste and then reapply it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Two thoughts:
1) You said the board has been replaced. Whoever replaced it may not have applied heat sink compound properly between the CPU/GPU and heat exchangers.

2) I've seen the heat exchanger air route get blocked. Most of the time by dirt 'fuzz'. Since the board was replaced, that's probably not the problem However, once I saw there was a piece of thin cardboard which was part of the vent that directs air out of the computer was misplaced. Instead of venting air out of the computer, it actually blocked the vent.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow ... I wish I had known about those cooling stands ... I paid $33 for a pedestal fan ... wish is more than a stand. Oh well ... it does the same thing ... it is keeping the laptop nice and cool I don't feel any heat at all from it now.
I replaced the motherboard and yes I did apply thermal paste ... I cleaned the cpu then I applied fresh paste. The overheating didn't start right after I replaced the board. It started a couple of months later.
Thanks for reading my post. :geek:

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,814 Posts
The advantage of a laptop cooling pad over an external fan is you can take the cooling pad and the laptop together anywhere you like, without carrying the fan,if your mobile. Also, it takes up no extra space on your desk.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not mobile at all. I have it connected to my big screen tv to surf the web and check out youtube videos. It I have known before I bought the fan I sure would have got a cooling stand instead, but it does the job and that's all that matters. I don't know what is causing it to overheat now, but at least the fan solves the problem.:geek:(y)

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,312 Posts
I replaced the motherboard and yes I did apply thermal paste ... I cleaned the cpu then I applied fresh paste. The overheating didn't start right after I replaced the board. It started a couple of months later.
Before the cheers start and you declare yourself the winner, I'd check to see if you have some process or application using excessive processor time, that will cause overheating.

You can use Windows task manager, but my favorite tool for exploring this kind of issue is Process Explorer.

Task Manager vs Process Explorer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts