Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where I should go..

I have a Dell Inspirion 1545. There were multiple problems with it. It all started with the battery going out. It was telling me that I needed to replace it. Shortly after that it started freezing a lot. I'd have to hold the power button down just to get it to shut down. I'd also occasionally come across a blue screen when this happen, but that was only once or twice. Next thing I did was check it for viruses. I tried multiple different Anti-virus programs and it found nothing. At this point I had finally got my replacement batter in. I had been hoping the bad battery was why it was freezing and such, but even with the replacement battery, it was still doing it. So next I opened up the laptop and cleaned out the area near the fan where the heat link is (I believe that is what it's called). I got that out and there was quite a bit of fuzz/dust in there, but not surprising considering the laptop had never been opened up and cleaned in four years, or so I was told. After this.. and this is where the MAIN issue is. After I put it all back together, I turned it on and it told me that it needed to do a startup repair. I hit enter.. a few seconds later, it shut down. I tried again, and same thing happened. So I figured maybe I hadn't put everything back in right. So I took the back off, checked everything, made sure everything was in place and without screwing the back on, I turned it on. It got further this time. It asked if I wanted to do a Startup Repair. I said yes, and it actually started it this time.. but JUST when it was almost done repairing, it shut down. So I tried putting the back on again, and turning it on, and right after I hit enter for Startup Repair, it shuts down again. What could be causing this?

·
Global Moderator
42,339 Posts
The HDD may have failed. Boot the computer and press F12 and do the Dell Diagnostics.
On another computer, you can also download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature, burn the image to CD using IMGburn also in my signature, boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and long tests on the drive. If either fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Shutting off can mean an over heating issue also. All though you have already cleaned out the laptop did you clean out the air vent where the heat sink is located?

Follow Spunks advice then make sure the air vent on the side is cleaned using a can of compressed air.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.