Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Dell Dimension e521 & I'm trying to determine exactly what motherboard I have so I can be sure
it's compatible with SATA 2 (Can anyone tell me if SATA 2 is SATA II & also SATA-300?).

The motherboard ID isc51mcp51-6a61hm39c-00 or mcp51 I'm not entirely certain.

_____READING THIS is optional but it may help you understand my situation_____
I was going to install an ide hdd on a controller card but it turns out that the hdd(old ata one),
when put in the plastic bracket (in the new machine) the correct way wont allow ANY room to let me plug
in the power connector because i guess it seems ata & sata hdd's are laid out differently. It looks backwards.
The new hdd is upside down but when I do that with the old ata one the power plug & the ata connetor are
opposite. First my option seemed to be to not even put it in the bracket. But THEN, the power plug itself wont
fit in the hdd because it's a thin slot as opposed to the 4 (thick pins) plug with the old one.

So now it seems I really have 2 options.

1; Find out if there's an adpater to fit the power plug to convert from SATA to ata & not even put the hdd
in the plastic bracket which, is probably not a great idea. Not only that but there's basically no room to move cables around because the secondary plug is only 1 or MAYBE 2 inches away from the primary.
2; Buy a new SATA hdd & cable & backup everything from the old hdd to put onto the new one.

*** I want to know if my mobo is sata 2 compatible so I don't have to worry about having to
only stick with buying a sata hdd so I at least have the option.

Check out my old post that's related to this.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/installing-ide-hdd-on-sata-mobo-131481.html
or the picture of the inside of my new system.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Letter10/insidedimensione521.jpg?t=1166681824.
In the center of the upper right-hand block it looks like there's another sata connection. And, in the lower left-hand corner you can see the room I have to work with. Also, the blue plastic bracket that the hdd is enclosed in doesnt seem to want to accomandate an ATA hdd.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dell E521 compatible with sata2

Yea, it looks like the manual says 'supports up to 2 serial ATA hard drives'. Doesn't specify SATA 2 so I'm guessing its only SATA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.