Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have recently had to re-install windows XP on my dell dimension 3100, however after re-installing xp i looked on my Local Disc (C:) to find that the 70 gb of memory i used to have has been considerably reduced to a mear 10gb. I have realised however that once i click on the format option i see that it says 74.5 gb for the capacity. I was just wondering what should i do really, should i re-format my hard drive or is there an alternative method, prefferably without spending any money. Much thanks, Mark :)

P.S
I had to re-install xp because i got a virus and it wiped off all of my files including windows files.

·
Banned
4,713 Posts
You said you re-installed operating system...
To re-install operating system, you have to format HDD...
Did you do clean installation or you just did a Repair of the system???
If you did Repair, virus is still there and that is why your partition is seen as 10GB...

The best solution would be to backup all important data on separate HDD,
and do a clean install of operating system. This way you will erase all the content on HDD, therefore virus will be gone also...

Edit: When you choose to format HDD, format it to be NTFS partition, not FAT32...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well i actually got a virus on my computer which wiped all the system fies on my computer, basically my computer would turn on but there was no OS on it. So i used my xp installation disc and installed it again, however when it installed i found out i only had 10 gb not 70. So i dont think the virus would still be on here, and i was just wondering if i could do anything other than formatting, i guess that if that is the best solution i will just have to do that though :)
thanks alot :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Uh, if I understand this correctly, you want one partition that is 70GB? Said in English, you want Windows + your files all on one big pie? To accomplish that, format the drive, delete all partitions, and start over with just one partition. Sometimes the full capacity isn't recognized, dunno what to do other than immediately try again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.