Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The laptop responds to the "on" button but just stays black and dead except for the "on" indicator light. Same on battery or power brick. Formerly it did this intermittently. Now it does this consistently.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Carl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joeten:

Thank you for your response.

No, I haven't. Mainly because when the laptop is in this condition the CD player drive will not respond or even open. But, I could hook up an outboard monitor with not much trouble if you still think it is worth a try.

Carl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The current symptoms are:

When depressing the "on" button the small light in the center (marked A) of the three small lights just to the left of the "on" button blinks 9 times before it goes off and stays off until the "on"button is pressed again. This scenario repeats consistently.

Also, when I hook up the outboard monitor a small sigh in the center of its display says "No signal" until I press the "on" button on the laptop. The display then goes black and stays that way.

In order to be sure to have the test monitor being properly fed from the laptop, I used the Fn key and F8 to switch back and forth between the laptop display and the test display. Both screens just stayed black no matter what I did with the Fn/F8.

Hope this gives some helpful input to you. I have that "mother-board" slippin' feeling.....

Carl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SF:

Thanks for the input. Looks like the mother-board is likely the problem. Not surprised. Not worth the $$$ to fix. So it goes. It's got all the time from of me it's going to get.

Maybe I'll get some additional help from the "light link" you sent. Who knows. And the ol' d610 still has a HD and RAM (I tried other sticks---same results) that might come in handy.

Best to you and yours,

Carl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joeten:

Looks like an addition to the bone pile. Not surprised.

Thanks again for your help. You have been there to try to give me a hand previously and I always appreciate it. How are you repaid for your time and expertise?----or are you???

Carl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To each of the Tech Support staff:

My sincere thanks goes to each of you who are willing to donate your hard won knowledge and experience in an effort to make things easier for those who try to learn along their way.

The main thing required for you all to do this job, you each have elected to take on, is not taught in tech school. Nor anywhere else other than "the school of hard knocks." That special requirement is called "Patience". Patience to continue to try to help those who try to help themselves.

So for all those who benefit from each of your patience and knowledge, who may not express appreciation for your efforts, let me again say "Thanks".

Sincerely,

Carl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.