Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 512mb of ram installed right now and i want to upgrade to 1g. I need help to choose which ram speed to choose. I currently i have pc2300 installed, and when i look at ram to buy it says i should get pc2100 and others say pc2700. I need to know which one should i choose.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
What's the difference in price? The way it works with RAM is that if you have two sticks, one faster than the other, both will operate at the speed of the slower module.

If the price difference was considerable, like 15 bucks or so, I would just get the cheaper of the two. 2100 and 2300 are both relatively slow by modern standards, so I think the jump from 512 to 1gb of memory is probably worth the small cost in RAM speed if you choose the cheaper module.

One thing to check on before you jump on the new module is whether the 512 you currently have is one stick or two. It's probably 1, but I would make sure since the D800 is kind of old and I thought those came with 256.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that they'd be that pricey. Where are they coming from?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well those prices are for 2x 512mb. the 2100 is from newegg.com the manufacture is corsair. the 2700 is from crucial website. if there is a place where i can get them cheaper please do tell. I got these from links that were stickied on the forums.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I would check on eBay, if you're comfortable buying that way. Memory this old should really should be going for ~45 for 2x512, not 70.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok if i use ebay what should i look for.

like what speed (pc2100,pc2300,pc2700), mhz, pins, and other things like that.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
It really depends on what your machine can support. If it doesn't support more than pc2100, then there's really no point in buying 2700, but if the cost is the same, it couldn't hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.