Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to delete items from the my documents area and keep getting the error that my documents is not responding. Please advise how I can delete these items that I do not want any more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How can I delete items from my documents. I keep getting the error message that my documents is not responding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No

The only thing I tried was to click on the item that I wanted to delete and told it to delete. [/I don't know how to use a command prompt. I have never had this problem before)

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Did you try rebooting? Sometimes Windows just needs a little kick to get it normal again. If that doesn't work, try this:

Start > Run... > Type cmd.exe

Its been so long since I used the Windows command prompt. But let's see if I can remember. Try this:

Code:
del C:\Docume~1\[I]YourUserName~1[/I]\MyDocu~1\[I]NameOfFile.ext[/I]
Be sure to replace YourUserName~1 with your user name. But here is the catch. You can't have more than 8 characters, and there are no spaces. So just eliminate the spaces and cut off after the sixth character and add a ~1. So, the user name Tom Smith for example would look like this:

Code:
TomSmi~1

C:\Docume~1\TomSmi~1\MyDocu~1\
For the file name, you can have more than 8 characters, but there are still no spaces, and you need the file extension if I remember correctly. So, an MS Word document named Report for Work would look like this:

Code:
ReportforWork.doc

C:\Docume~1\TomSmi~1\MyDocu~1\ReportforWork.doc
And to delete it, you simply add del at the beginning of the file path. So, all those examples put together would look like this:

Code:
del C:\Docume~1\TomSmi~1\MyDocu~1\ReportforWork.doc
If it doesn't give any error and just brings up a new prompt on the next line, you are all set.

Hopefully that will fix it, but if Explorer always crashes, you can try a system restore to before you encountered this problem.

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.