Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a school directory, and have a list of 400 students, each entry looking roughly like this, with variations in length:

Smith, Mary
1234 Main St., 831-444-4444
[email protected]
Parents: Ike and Tina Smith
ikeand [email protected]

I want to produce a first-name list, and want to end up with Mary and Smith in separate columns that I can then sort. In the end, my list will look like this:

Mary Smith
Mary Turner
Maryanne Jones
Nicholas Jones
Nicole Adams
etc.

My list is in Word. I imagine Excel would be better for the first name list. I think I know how to put my list into Excel, but how can I then delete all the data and be left with just "Mary" and "Smith" without going through and manually deleting the unwanted rows for all 400 students?

Thanks for any guidance on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I can get it into Excel. But no, each entry varies in length since some families have two households, some don't want email listed, etc. So they vary from 3 lines to maybe as many as 8.

One thing I didn't mention is that in my Word list, after the student's name, on the same line, I have 4 tabs and then the number of the student's grade level. There are no tabs anywhere else. My husband said he thinks those tabs can serve as a marker, to differentiate the name line from the others.

Any thought on this?

Thanks for your help.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Hi arlo

They could indeed serve as a marker, although there are several ways to do what you need. Firstly, get your list into Excel. When you copy and paste, the name details etc on each line in Word should go in a separate row in Excel. If the grade marker is several columns away from the main data, delete any blank columns so that you end up with data in columns A and B, and each line of data in it's own row.

After that, some formulae and some code should do the trick. It might be easier if you upload a sample Excel file (use the 'Manage Attachments' button when posting) - please delete any sensitive data if required. Any problems with any of this just post back and we'll sort it out for you.

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.