Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a REAL old e-mail address that I do not use anymore due to an ENORMOUS amount of junk mail from address getting out on the web and I would like to delete it so I do not keep getting all the crap. I don"t know if I can lust turn off all notifications for that addree or how to get RID of it. HELP please.:banghead:

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,502 Posts
Did you attempt to close the account?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes but i stopped it as the way it showed it looked like it wanted to know if i agreed to close my Microsoft account not just the email account.

·
26,502 Posts
Was it a Hotmail account. If not, what was it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to the address you provided and followed the instructions as u suggested , when I got to the point where it asked to confirm and showed the info about what it would mean it sounded like I would not be able to access my other email address's. If I read this wrong please let me know and I will go back and complete the process.

Many thanks for your help.

·
26,502 Posts
You're trying to get rid of msn.com but not Outlook or outlook.com. What did it say specifically.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,372 Posts
You can get rid of the email address (alias) without closing your Microsoft account. What you need to do is add a new alias to the account and make it the primary alias, then delete the old alias. Any subsequent emails sent to the old address should no longer find their way into your inbox. You can then clean up the inbox by deleting all emails sent to the old address. I did this with my main Microsoft account which was originally using an [email protected] and I've since changed it to an [email protected] primary alias.

After you've done this, be advised that ANY device that is signed into the Microsoft account using the old msn address will lose the connection to that account and you'll have to sign them back into that account using the new primary alias.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info will do it soonest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
An alternative procedure would be to go out to the server. There's probably an option under the "gearhead" icon that provides a choice of responses, including one which returns to the sender a message that you create that might say "This email address is no longer in service" or something like that. It should not let the incoming message get passed down to you, so you won't see anything. It doesn't delete the account, but it's easy and accomplishes what you want.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
managed to delete the address. Many thanks for all the responses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.