Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep trying to delete this file off my desktop, but it says it's being used by another program. Even right at start-up it says that it's being used and cannot be deleted. Is there a way I can just delete the file, regardless of if it's being used at the moment or not?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi Ascendancy,

you can try a freeware program called Unlocker as that should be able to unlock the process which is using the file.

Once downloaded and installed, all you need to do is right click the file and then select Unlocker on the context menu. Next a box will popup telling you what process is locking the file...you can either post back the details for further advice of continue on with these instructions. Choose delete from the 'Actions' box then select Unlocker All and that should do it though it may require a reboot.

However, please bear in mind that undeleteable files may be a sign of a malware infection so it may be wise to run some scans. Are you having any other issues at the moment?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I just did a full system cleaning in the hijackthis log section, so I should be fine. Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem. It does work, it says that the file is being used by Explorer (C://WINDOWS/explorer.exe). I tried to terminate it, but it didn't work. The program just started up again apparently. I tried to end it using the Task Manager, but this screwed up my whole computer and I had to restart. Any ideas?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My desktop. Or for a more descriptive place:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jake\Desktop

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Ok Jake...do you use Adobe Pagemaker? If yes, have a look in the Adobe installation folder for another file called pagemaker.exe and post back if it's the same size etc please.

Also, you can try booting into Safe Mode as you may be able to delete it from there with less hassle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.