Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Partition Magic, I deleted the factory Recovery partition off of my Dell Studio 1558 laptop that was running Windows 7 and now my computer will not boot. The message that i get is,
"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found"

Help a dumb guy out please :D

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
That partition was probably also the active boot partition, with just Windows (without boot files) installed on the main, inactive partition.

That partition was also the only method you had of recovering Windows to it's factory defaults - and you've blown it away.

Before doing anything potentially risky like that, you should have created a full back up image of the entire hard drive. As it is, I can't see how you are going to avoid having to purchase a new copy of Windows now.

There is just one thing that might work. Borrow a Win7 DVD and perform a repair install, using your own product key if prompted for it.
How to Repair a Corrupt Windows 7 Installation | PCWorld

How to Repair Windows 7 Installation

It's perfectly legal to borrow a Windows disc if your just using it to fix an existing installation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still have the OS partition which contains all of my stuff. Will I still be able to keep all of that stuff even if the repair installation doesn't work?

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
Use an Ubuntu Live CD to copy all of your files (Documents, Pictures, Music etc not Programs) to an External USB drive before attempting a repair install

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.