Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Norton SystemWorks Pro and am also using WINXP Home. Would I be better off using the Norton or the Win XP to defrag my HDD? Also, I have heard that everything should be turned off to do this. How would I make sure everything is off - or should I boot into Safe Mode (which I am not sure how to do)? I've had trouble in the past defragging on Win 98SE - I lost things and don't want it to happen again. Please advise. Thank you.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've never had a problem in windows xp but I would save any documents you have opened before running the defrag. I've never used the one from systemworks so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Iv'e used SystemWorks and obviously used XP defrag - I personally would not worry about using SW's, Windows Defrag has come on in leaps & bounds since Win98 and is simple to use, so you won't have anything to worry about!

As 'phubeone' said, when running defrag it is best to save and close any open doc's, plus close as many Non system programs as poss....you don't have to be too thorough about it tho!

Don't worry about doing it in Safe Mode either, although you can if desired!

Just for future reference:

F2 - BIOS (don't change any settings unless you know what you are doing!)
F8 - Safe Mode
F11 - Choose Boot Sequence

(to use above keys remember to hit the relevant key after the system boot 'beep' and before any windows screen appears!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with koala. The defrag really seemed to improve my system performance, i have started doing it regularly now, and since it never takes as long as the built in, its never a headache

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.