Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Diskeeper 9 and while it seems to work ok. Can anybody tell me why some files are unmovable (system files I think). Is there a better defragmenter prog or should I stay with what I've got?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
What Joe said plus:

Disable hibernation in control panel>power options

Set virtual memory initial size to 0, set maximum size to 0- (click the set button)

Start>right click My Computer>properties>advanced tab>in the performance box>settings>advanced tab>virtual memory box

Turn off system restore

Reboot

Defrag drive- if your internet is cable or dsl-disconnect modem, disable antivirus software first (should already be disabled if you are in safe mode)

Re-enable all of the above- set virtual memory initial and maximum size to 1.5 or 2 times physical memory

That's about as thorough a defrag environment as you can get. The only other caveat is that the defragger moves and organizes data fragments so that all parts of fragments of files are contigous with all other fragments as opposed to just moving the fragmanets of files so that the data area is contigous

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You could try to run a boot time defrag, that will be the least amount of things running that is possible, just a thought to go with the others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.