Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the error that I get when I try to defrag my HD:

The scan has been cancelled because of an error occured in file C:\WINDOWS\ModemLog_Communications cable between two computers.txt

We have a small network here that I _tried_ to hook up. We've had problems in the past, but I never know how to fix it.

We had some strange computer guy come to hook it up properly and we've had trouble ever since.

What can I do to fix this file so I can run my defrag. My comp. is in bad need of one. Havent done a defrag in at least four months.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try running scandisk by going to Run and typing in CHKDSK. Configure it to fix any problems you may have.

If and when you get this straightened out, I HIGHLY reccomend that you buy or download Diskeeper 8.0. Don't forget to pay attention to which version you need, for XP Home or XP Pro. You can't run the Diskeeper Pro on the XP Heme version. Anyway, you can set this to automatically defrag whenever it needs to, or you can set a customized schedule. If you set it and forget it, you never need to even open the software because it works continuously in the background while you work.

I find that with Windows XP and the NTFS system, I need to defrag once a day or more! I would never go four months without defragging WinXP! I could get away with it with Win98 under the FAT32 system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... this is exactly what I did, and the defrag went alright.

It just finished (taking a little less than four hours to do) but there are still a lot of fragmented files.

Can I just delete these files, run defrag again, and hope for the best? They are just useless files (files which I havent used in about four months) so would Defrag defrag these files once deleted?

I've just been really slack since the summer and I've gotta get into a better schedule for my comp. cleanup.

Where can I download this program you are talking about?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi,

I would think twice about deleting anything unless you knew exactly what it was. Also, if you need to get rid of a program, you must uninstall it, because simply deleting it will mess up your registry. Since you are doing the home networking thing, you may not want to remove it. Anyway, what you decide to remove is entierly up to you, but do it right! Just to be safe, create a checkpoint in the System Restore utility before doing anything! That way, if things get bad, you can go back to the starting point.

Diskeeper can be found here:

http://www.diskeeper.com/coverpage.asp

The program costs about $30 for the XP Home version.

It also defrags in just minutes, depending on how badly your drive is fragged up. And, read the manual carefully before starting it so you know exactly what and why it does what it does. This is important. You won't get a pretty solid color scheme when it does it's work because you don't need it. You are most likely running NTFS!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've had great experiences from Norton SystemWorks. Their defragger is superior to the built-in Windows defragger, as is its scandisk and disk cleanup. It will also check for Windows errors and correct these problems. All of this can be run on a set schedule, which is convenient. After rebates, SystemWorks can be picked up for next to nothing. In fact, one year I came out ahead $5 after the Norton rebates and a Costco rebate on top of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.