Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a question.

In your DB design process, at the stage where you model / sketch you tables / objects. I am aware that to determine a relationship, you need to look and see which ones relate logicaly, but is there a rule to say for exemple, if you have 5 object, then you should have 4 or 5 relations? (considering that where i find a many to many relationship, i must have an extra / linking table which will then cause more relationships)

Please help i need to understand how you should have a simple, but logical DB schema

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LAxer for your reply but i can't find my answer in it. I want to know the easiest way to determine the numbers of relations you should have between your tables?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Database normalization comes to mind.

What is Normalization?

Normalization is the process of efficiently organizing data in a database. There are two goals of the normalization process: eliminating redundant data (for example, storing the same data in more than one table) and ensuring data dependencies make sense (only storing related data in a table). Both of these are worthy goals as they reduce the amount of space a database consumes and ensure that data is logically stored.
Database Normalization Basics

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.