Tech Support banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,296 Posts
We can disable services using FRST, but whether this will be enough is hard to say.

If you want to give it a go, then first I'm going to need you to run a scan for me, so that I can create a script to disable the 3rd party services it finds. Once I've done that you'll need to run the script to disable them.

So .....

• Double click Frst.exe to launch it.
  • FRSTwill start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press the Scan button.
    • When finished scanning 2 logs will open on your Desktop, FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    • Please post or attach them in your next reply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This article might be able to help you out, to fix it. Windows Defender Won't Update.Fix this Issue -Simple Steps to Fix Windows Defender Won't Update Error.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been spending loads of time trying to sort it.
I got Defender working OK but still couldn't get Windows to update to latest version.

So
I gave up and decided it would be easier to go back to factory setting on my laptop and start again ... IT WASN'T - well not exactly.

Got Windows re-installed and everything seemed hunky dory. I re-isntalled Office2010 and that generated a whole new set of issues :-(

I Have a number of emails that use the outlook.com domain so I ran Outlook and tried to set up the emails.
Outlook now does not seem to want to connect to the Exchange Server; I go through the set up email process and it seems OK but it then informs me Outlook needs to restart (it didn't on the other virtually identical laptop). So I restart it and it a pop up with Windows Security tells me I need to enter a password and gives me the option of saving the credentials. However, it will not accept the password. When I delve into it I find that the data file it has created is a .pst file whereas on the other laptop it is a .ost file.

I've tried everything I can find, even copying files from the working laptop to this one but I still dont seem to be able to get it working. I've also tried copying the old outlook file from the account (stored as a back up) across but it says it is not an outlook file.

I'm at a loss - any suggestions?????

·
Premium Member
42,049 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Gary R
I tried this but to no avail.
having spent almost 3hrs installing it failed at the last phase and gave the following message
View attachment 331305
Any ideas other than a coplete wipe and install?
I would just reformat/reinstall, personally, but that's me. As for the 3 hour install? I run Windows setup from a partition on one of my drives and it takes all of 15 minutes to get to the new desktop. I'd lose every bit of my mind if I sat for 3 hours waiting for Win10 to install.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts