Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully some one can help me on this one,
My sony Vaio was working fine, but tried to start it up the other day and got nothing, no lights come on when plugged into the ac power and nothing happens when i press the power on button , i have dismantled the keyboard and checked that the power switch connection is connected and it is?

had a quick look on the support documentation either i have a faulty battery or faulty ac power supply??

any idea whichi it might be or any ideas what else might be the problem, i don't thnk it is the faulty battery as it wasn't showing any signs of failing, but i not sure i suppose that these things can just break??

cheers

slackda

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well first you need to identify where the power stops, just to state the obvious have you checked the fuse in the plug ?
Can you check if power is reaching the laptop ?
That would rule out the lead for starters, if you can do that then we can look at other things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, checked the PSU lead and there is definatly current running through the connector, really should have tested that first:grin:

ty for the reply.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well assuming you put everything together without dislodging anything that would stop you from doing anything, am I right in assuming it is absolutely dead ? no lights, fans or sounds of any kind of life ?
If so I suspect the PSU may be the culprit, otherwise you should be getting something no matter how small I'd of thought, as I'm not familiar with that unit can you confirm if there are any kind of power switches voltage or anything that could be accidentally knocked so it would in effect turn it off ?
I ask as a mate brought a machine round where the kids had flicked the voltage switch to 130 from 240 and they wondered why it wouldn't work lol.
But if none of that helps I do feel your probably looking at a new PSU given the info so far, can you get it checked ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mm, gogint o pull it all apart tonight and test that power is getting inside of the laptop,

also i can't seem to find any switches that may change the voltage...

im not sure why you think it is the psu if i know that power is running through it, but your the expert :pray:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
lol I've NEVER considered myself an expert, I'm just a bloke doing what I can to help and sharing in my experiences from struggling with such things myself, as are all of us pretty much.

But the reason I suspect the PSU is because you say your unit is 100% dead, so to me that says there is no power getting to the components or you would at least have a fan spinning I would of thought, and as all power comes from the PSU thats why I suspect that, I hope it isn't that for you, but as I can only work from what you have said it's the thought that comes to me.

But please take care going inside, especially the PSU, not sure what laptops are like but normal PSU's contain 1000's of volts inside even when turned off and unplugged and is capable of killing a person, so do be careful and hope you return with some more news that helps cure this for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
pulled it apart and im definatly getting power in side of the laptop, seems like the power switch is dead though, i suspect it tis the ribbon cable, not sure how hard one of these is going to be to source... any ideas of where i might get one?

cheers

slack
also im not sure if im getting the termanology confused is the psu the ac adaptor? or another part inside the laptop?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
PSU = power supply unit
The easiest way to see where it is would be is to look where the power cable plugs in, as that is what feeds it, it is where all power comes from.
But good call on the power switch, I was to busy looking at the big things, so yes if the power switch has gone obviously you would not be able to turn it on, pretty easy to check as well by checking power to the switch, then see if the power comes through the other side of it, not sure about where to get spares though, my guess is it would be dependant on it type\shape, getting a switch itself should be fairly easy, any decent electrical place should do that, but if it would fit your laptop is a different matter, ideally what you need to do is identify an exact part number for it to search for an exact replacement switch that way you know it should fit without problem, where abouts in the world are you ? but you may find a phone around local repair places may find you one, just a thought, hope it is that for you as it should be much cheaper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hope fully i will be able to soruce a refurb/new switch from these guys

http://www.impactcomputers.com/
problem is im in the uk and $20 shipping seems alot, but i suppose with current exchange rates its not to bad.....

cheers for clarifying the psu situtation sorry i was having a blonde moment.

im much better with desktops alot easier to work with. i can generally iron out most of those problems...but laptops are far to findly especially with my fat fingers :grin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will actually document how to dismantle this laptop, i can't find any documentation i really just took a stab in the dark and tried it. is it ok to post that in these forums?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
NP lol, I am the same when it comes to terminology\laptops etc, I know what I mean but does anyone else lol, but never been inside a laptop yet as I only know about 2 people that have one, but I dare say a guide especially if you can manage some pictures for clarity it would be a great help for people in a similar boat, I'll check but my guess is post it in the article submissions section when your done where the wordsmiths will go through it and make any comments they feel may help clarify certain areas.
As your UK have you tried >>>Maplins<<< ? also >>>CPC<<< does a lot of electrical stuff, no idea if they would do what you need though, if you don't see it in their web site give them a ring (number on site), their site is not very easy to work with and many items are not shown online, their catalogue is massive, see if either of them can help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last spring the same thing happened to my Vaio notebook. Nothing was wrong with it, and one day I turned it on and the lights turned on, but my screen never responded or worked. After a full diagnostics (lucky to have a computer genius around the house) we were able to conclude that the power source and screen were fine. We just assumed it was the motherboard that went, but since I still have it laying around, it may not be a bad idea to check it again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eventually found a supplier thanks for the tip tried maplin instore and they said i'd be lucky if i found it.
but found a comany in the us i think it was nextronics just waiting for it to turn up will update you when i get the part and will do a dismantle guide at the same time as i try to repair it.

thanks

slack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.