Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shut down the computer for the night, went to start it next morning but nothing came on.
Opened the computer case and noticed the green LED was NOT illuminated, so I tried another power supply (450w) which illuminated the LED but the motherboard won't boot.
Tried a jumper on the power switch points to rule out a faulty switch, the motherboard shows no sign of life apart from the green led, no fans no beeps. I have tried the motherboard out of the case with different graphics cards and processors but it is still not booting.

asus A7V333

S

·
0 Posts
Hi SIMMO and welcome to TSF.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

It's just a thought cause when the fans won't come on it's not a good thing! You could also try reseating the CPU.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
He already reseated the CPU, when he tried the different processors. I wouldn't clear the CMOS, it was working fine the night before. It's gotta be something else.

Maybe a power surge, I'm thinking... what else could put the green LED out? It lights from the +5VSB standby power line of your power supply. Which comes on whenever you turn on the switch on the back, if you have one. No LED= no +5VSB= bad power supply or loose wiring. Or maybe the old supply blew, and took something else with it.

I say that because no fans with a new supply sounds really bad! Are you sure the replacement supply is really good?

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

(p.s. I had two other ideas here but I was thinking about the wrong mobo, so I edited them out.)

S

·
0 Posts
This is an AMD motherboard and does not require the extra 4 pin connector that P4 boards need. If that's what you meant.

Don't want to confuse anyone unintentionally, Right........:winkgrin:

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Oh man, what a flub! Guess I should stick to one mobo series. Sorry about that, Chief! :D OK, I'm editing out the 4-pin connector and solder-blob comments, or I'm afraid you're right, it will be confusing.

OK, how about these ideas instead...

1. Under manual section 2.7.7, "Keyboard Wakeup", for the KBWK jumper it says your supply must provide at least 300ma on the +5VSB line, and if you enable the jumper, "the computer will not power ON if you set this to Enable [pins 1-2] but do not have the correct ATX power supply". This jumper must be set in conjunction with some Power Up Control BIOS setting, the "Wake on PS2 KB/Wake on PS2 Mouse/CIR".

Do you have that jumper enabled?
Just another thought related to the green standby-power LED.

2. Section 2.8.13 suggests a minimum supply wattage of 230W. Otherwise, it says, you "may experience difficulty powering up." That sounds like a pretty low minimum.

-clintfan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I have also noticed that the key board that was attached to it has stopped working.
1. It has been working fine for six months.
2. Shut it down for the night would not start in the morning.
3. The power supply has blown tried another which was (450w) that got the green led on. But would not boot
4. Have now noticed the keyboard that was on it is not working.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get it Replaced.

Get it Replaced.

I have similar problem. I got a new, replacement board and this worked better. NOTE: I say better, not perfect... No “microphone sound input”, line in works OK; sound recorder does not work, also joystick does not work.

Asus have some bad boards that they are tiring to flog to users.

Compare Bargains

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.