Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6-month old Acer Aspire 6010 has been turning off randomly for the past 2 weeks. I usually let it cool off, point a fan at it, and turn it back on after a few moments, when it's not as hot to the touch. I placed my hand on the area to the left of the touchpad, and it came up with black soot-like stuff on it.

Today, it acted very strangely. It wouldn't get past the Windows screen each restart, until..

The Mode Select screen came up. If selected a mode, it would freeze. Then, it said that WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM was corrupt or missing.

I would try a Windows Reinstall, but it wouldn't do much good-- I don't have the disc.

I'm taking it to Circuit City tomorrow.. should I take the money for a new laptop?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
It should be under warranty, return it to where you bought it and get it replaced or repaired for no charge

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I bought the Circuit City warrenty plan with it, so hopefully that'll work.

But I'm actually not surprised. It was, like.. $400. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Oh, I futzed up the model.. it's a 3610.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
$400 for a laptop won't get you much, especially considering that some parts in it cost about $200 alone. Take advantage of that warranty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy at Firedog said that the fan died. It was still under Acer's warrenty, so it's being sent to them.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You still might experience overheating problems, Acers tend to to have that. Mine had this problem out of the box, and the fan is OK. An inexpensive cooling pad will fix this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been bugging my mom to get one ever since we got it. But she can't be bothered to go down to Circuit City to get one-- or a DVD for the backup. ><

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.