Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

So my second hdd (not the one with the OS on) had been making a lot of noise the last few months and occasianly stopping my pc from booting as you could hear spinning then stopping, spinning then stopping if you know what I mean.

Anyway last night after I extracted an ISO everytime I went into the folder where I had extracted the data to it was like seeking 2-3 times until it opened the data which I though was odd. Now any other folder on the drive I went into opened as normal only this one had this problem. So I thought maybe the data was corrupted on extraction so I tried to delete it - wouldn't delete. I ran Norton Scandisk on the folder and the whole pc locked up. Now the drive does not load at all I just hear constant spinning from it and I have had to disconnect it from the pc as it is slowing the whole system down.

I have some very important stuff on this drive and I need to get it back!! It seemed to me before this happened that the rest of the drive was fine and this **** extracted iso is the culprit. If I do a Norton Ghost on it will the data copy over ok to a new hdd?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
do you mean you made a Ghost image of the drive before you got into problems , then you can use it of course.
But trying to make the image NOW on a erratic drive is impossible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
RE: Dead Hard Drive

You're gonna laugh ..... but this actually works SOME of the time. Take your bad drive and freeze it over night. Then try to make your ghost image. Its worth a shot anyway ..... even if you have file corruption on parts of the drive, you can still save some of its contents. I read this on a post a while back. Too bad I don't remember where I saw it at. Its a no cost solution that may or may not work ..... but if the drive contents are important enough, its certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yesterday I told someone on another forum about freezing the drive (found it on a google search)...the bios wouldn't even recognize it and a data recovery company wanted $300 to try and $1000 if they recovered the data. He put it in a ziploc bag in the freezer and reconnected it and it worked. I think you need to leave it in overnight. The first time he tried (after 4 hours) it booted and he saw all the data but then it crashed...he stuck it back in the freezer and now it is running normally (at least he recovered all of his data).

http://insanity42.tripod.com/ebooks/ebook2.htm

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: RE: Dead Hard Drive

HaViNaBaDdAy said:
You're gonna laugh ..... but this actually works SOME of the time. Take your bad drive and freeze it over night. Then try to make your ghost image. Its worth a shot anyway ..... even if you have file corruption on parts of the drive, you can still save some of its contents. I read this on a post a while back. Too bad I don't remember where I saw it at. Its a no cost solution that may or may not work ..... but if the drive contents are important enough, its certainly worth a try.
Is it dangerous to freeze it, do you need to wrap it, how long will it take to defrost

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.