Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old micron laptop with win98 on it. When I turn it on, it just brings up a blue microsoft scan disk screen and just stays there forever. I called a local computer shop and they told me that the hard drive probably died. Is there anyway to fix it? I don't have any idea what kind of hard drive to get for it if I need a new one. I looked on eBay and various hard drive sites and they all look way different than mine. I'm completely lost here. I don't want to dump a lot of money into an old computer by dropping it off at a computer repair shop and having them handle it. Is there any affordable way to fix the problem? Perhaps with some kind of software?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for responding to my plea for help. The model number for the micron computer is: NBKU375. The hard drive is an IBM Travelstar and the model number for that is: DTCA-24090. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The reason your drive doesn't look like other drives is most likely because the drive is in a caddy - the drive is mounted in the caddy and the caddy holds it in the laptop

couldn't find any specs as far as drive size capacity (how many gigs) it's possible it won't support much more than a 40 gig drive if it will support that size. The remaining issue is the thickness, it's 12.5 mm thick while most are 9.5 mm, but that probably won't matter.

I'd suggest buying a drive that is returnable just in case micron NBKU375

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
also when removing the drive pay close attention to the drive when it comes out, many of them have a metal strap that attaches to the drive, this is actually a power adapter and must be installed to the new drive as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I took the hard drive out of the cady before trying to look for a new one. All of the little metal connectors are sort of off set to the right a little bit unlike all the other hard drives I was looking at. It says on the hard drive 4.09GB ATA/IDE 4,000 RPM. That's all I know.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
As I recall, the ATA spec goes back to the late eighties - though 2.5" drives may not have existed. Even so, to be classed as an ata ide drive, the connectors would have to meet with that spec for a 2.5"drive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.