Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
I just purchased a new computer w/ Windows XP OS. My old computer was running Windows 98 (been awhile). My problem is this. I have about 6 gig of data in a folder (music) that I hate to just dump. Is there a somewhat simple way to get it from the old hard drive to the new one? Yhanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well there is two ways, if your on a network between the to computers you can copy to folder or move to folder to the other computer. Or if you have a cdrw you could burn 700 mb at a time or 650 mb what ever size disk you have... Floppy disks would be fruitless.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you're not squeamish about opening the case, you could just jumper the old HD as a slave and connect it to the new system. Then you can just copy the stuff across.

If this doesn't appeal to you, we'll probably need to know more about the two systems, specifically if they have network boards, usb, etc.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I second Johnwill's method - set it up as a 2nd hard disk and copy. Fastest method.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i done a lot of home networking and data xfer stuff and i'd say yer best bet is to open the case, jumper the old as primary slave and then copy directly. i've had good experiences w/ winxp and doing that.

another thing u can do is the cdr, but wasting a cd on dated info sucks for 2 reasons- 1) the data could be important and then when yer done u have to destroy the cd, not just chuck it, and 2) then u gotta keep a stupid cd around w/ dated material (i have over 700 cds in my room right now...jesus christ is it annoying. thats in addition to my 248 gb of hd space).

another thing u can do which is highly recommendable would be to network the comps. if u have a crossover cable or a network hub, that works best, altho remember to put them on the same network domain, and also dont forget that win98 can't read any ntfs partition, but that just means u set the files shared on the win98 machine and then on yer xp box, u access/copy the files. a while ago i thought it would be a good idea to get a usb pc/pc connection cable but that is 100% useless. i have yet to see it work on any computer, and crossover cables do the same thing, and are rediculously faster.

that's about it. any questions, just respond.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.