Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hdd that has a corrupt 98se operating system on it. I've tried to overwrite the instaqllation hoping to resurrect this drive.
The hard drive is functional. When I ran setup, everything was fine until it got to the point in the installation where it starts to setup the PNP devices. At that point it stops and give different error messages each time I try to continue. I've searched the MS knowledge base with no success. Of course I'm trying to avoid reformatting the thing in hopes I'll be able to get it back up and running temporarily.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. I tried slaving it to another harddrive in a different computer running XP pro but that system wouldn't even recognize it.

Thank you,

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It seems you may be assuming facts not in evidence. :) I see nothing in your post that convinces me that the hard disk is actually functional.

Have you downloaded the drive diagnostic from the manufacturer and run the non-destructive test on the drive?

Could you be having other hardware issues that prevent you from installing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the drive first crashed I received an error message that;
some xxx file was missing or could not be found, reinstall windows. While this hard drive was in the original environment I booted into safe mode and ran sfc. SFC found no missing or corrupt files till it got to I would guess about 95% complete and then crashed. From then on it would not get past the POST without crashing. That's when I attempted to reinstall windows over the top. The setup goes well until it gets to 23 minutes left in setup; when it starts trying to configure PNP and I get different error messages; " A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C1507F10, reinstall windows", then of course press any key to continue or ctrl,alt,dlt to restart. Each time it gets to about the same point I receive similar error messages, but the code isn't always the same. I'm sorry I didn't write every one of the error codes down since there have been so many by now. I've been trying to sort this out for about a week before I solicited any assistance from here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.