Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous laptop had mobo issues and stopped working a few months ago, so I ended up buying a new laptop. I'm trying to get the data off the old laptops hard drive!!

Old laptop was running Windows XP Media with a 100GB SATA hard drive. Today, I bought a NextStar 3 external hard drive enclosure, to use with my old hard drive on my new laptop. My new laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium. When I connected the old hard drive, using the enclosure via an eSata cable, the drive was not recognised. The old drive was showing as unallocated under disk management until after I downloaded and ran TestDisk, as per the instructions on this page, http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/have-you-lost-a-hard-drive-partition-or-files-in-your-computer-194492.html.

After following the instructions for Photorec, the data recovered was mainly .txt files?!

Can anyone please suggest a way for me to recover the data on my old hard drive, which includes video files and MS word files?

The old drive is no longer listed as unallocated and now shows 88GB free of 93GB in My Computer.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Not sure where you are seeing the 200GB, Disk 1 is 93, which is about right for a 100. If test_disk ran and fixed the boot record, then you might want to try r-studio demo and scan with that see if it can find the files you are looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Raptor,

You're right, the hdd is only 100GB. I was half asleep when I checked last night before bed. Anyways, I remember my old laptop having a 200GB hard drive when I bought it. I just checked and it physically has 2x100GB hard drives. I guess the first one I've been trying to retract the data from was an unpartitioned drive, hence not being recognized. I had that laptop serviced a couple of years ago and they did a clean O/S install, but I guess they forgot to partition the second drive or something. I remember when I got the laptop back, it only showed 100GB; I thought they just replaced the drive :grin:.

Long story short, I will try and plug in the second drive and see if it contains the data I'm looking for!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news is that the second drive has my data, bad news is windows 7 won't allow me to access anything. I've tried changing security and ownership to my own, but still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.