Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old vista desktop unit not booting, so I moved the Seagate SATA drive into a backup vista desktop unit until I have time to diagnose it. The backup desktop sees the second hard drive and tests it as ok, but when I browse over to the drive it shows it to be a totally empty drive. Anybody have a clue as to what is going on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much used and free space is being reported? It could be corrupt and that's why it wouldn't boot in the other PC.
I think I figured out that the motherboard died. As near as I can tell, the motherboard must have wiped the hard drive clean somehow. It is a 360 gig drive that had about 140 gigs of programs and data written to it. When installed as a secondary drive into an identical desktop having an identical motherboard and bios as the original desktop, all 360 gigs show up as available.
I'm currently running a disk recovery routine on the drive, but so far it is show up as a blank drive.

I'd be interested to know if anyone out there has encountered a similar situation.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
Could be a power or controller issue. It's also likely not a 360GB drive. Sizes are typically 250, 320, and then 400.

In any case, I'm glad you are making progress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.