Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I di a scan with Norton AV 2008 and it picked up and cleaned a Virus called W32.Virut.W from a few files in Windows Directory and the Progra files directory.
It then asked me to restart the PC, whe I did A small Windows NT style Log on box came up with my USername (this never happened before) since I am the only user and I have no password.

So I just hit eneter as I have no passowrd and the Desktop screen came up.
However a Box came up right away and said the following:-
Data Execution Prevention
To hlp protect your computer Windows has closed this Porram ...WMI

When I tried to close the Box it keeps coming up afew times before it closes completely.
When I tried alt+ctrl+del.......Data Exe Prev also came up and said a similar thing instead this time it said it stopped
Win Task Manager............So up to now I cannot get into the Task Manager if needed.

I will like to remedy the Following
(1) Remove that NT Log on screen and allow Windows to Boot straight into the Desktop screen as it used to.
and
(2) Get rid of that Data Execution Problem message after start up

Thanks in advance
Im using Win XP SP2 (updated to Dec 2007)
pc aNTHLON 64BIT 3200
1 gB ram

THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352 <- straight from Microsoft on how to turn it off totally or configure it to your needs

You may have to do this in Safe mode...Reboot your computer into safe mode by tapping F8 while your computer is booting (after the POST).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352 <- straight from Microsoft on how to turn it off totally or configure it to your needs

You may have to do this in Safe mode...Reboot your computer into safe mode by tapping F8 while your computer is booting (after the POST).

OK Kool I did that, and it worked but everytime I try to install a program, this Virus keeps popping up infecting alot of EXE files immediately...in windows and Temp install directory also from the Program being installed files.
I know its not coming from the installation files cause they are Originals Cds from reptuable companies.
Norton 2008 says it cleaned them but it keeps reoccurring,
The name of the Viruses are w32.Virut.W and W32.Virut!gen:rolleyes:

I did a complete full scan and Norton says it cleaned all of them (abut 12), but everytime I start Windows in a few seconds Norton keeps popping up saying it has blocked the same W32.Virut.32 and W32.Virut!gen Viruses

Is there any Tool I cud u to get rid of it completely?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Look over the First Steps at Removing Malware . There is no removal tool for that specific virus that I could find, but I'm sure our security team could clean it for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi elf/others,
Can you suggest a resolution for this issue. I am running a XP SP2 and facing the same problem as mentioned above by Alantrini.

Norton AV is not able to delete or quarantine W32.Virut.w for me. Pls help.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Rany1979, (This problem I had was over a Year ago)

I replied to you Email u sent me. The Best Deal for me to recover from this is to Back up all my files and Reformat the Whole Damn HArdive. :4-dontkno

And of Course Install another Make of Antivirus along with a Good Spyware Program.:grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.