Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello...

I have the above mentioned router. My desktop is plugged into it & my wifes laptop has a wireless connection.

I constantly get the "Local Area Connection - A network cable is Unplugged" message on my desktop and for the life of me I cannot figure out why it's happening. We called D-Link Customer Support a million times and every time they give us a new fix, it still doesn't help.

The connection is sporadic and prevents me from doing a lot of things. Any ideas why this might be happening??

We both have Windows XP -- I have a cable modem. Anything else you need ot know to help I can provide.

Thanks.
AW

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Well, the specific model of the router would be nice, as well as the version and patch level of Windows you're running. I presume you've upgraded to the latest firmware on the router, right?

Have you tried a different cable and/or a different port on the router? Have you considered trying to connect directly to the cable modem with your machine to see if you still see the issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Where to I get the model number? All is says is AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router. DI-624.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

Tried a different cable -- same problem. No problem when connected directly to the modem so I know it's the router.

Thanks for your help.
AW

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, Right click on the Network Port, select Properties, select Configure, select the Advanced tab, select Link Speed and force it to 10 Mbps Full Duplex (assuming it is currently set to Auto Detect??), then select OK and see if this makes things better.

Also go to Windows Update and select Custom. Look and see if there are any Hardware Updates for the Network Card, if so, update them.

JamesO

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It just forces the connection to a "stable" condition in case you have a flaky cable or ethernet interface.

JamesO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome.
I appreciate the help. I noticed there were other levels of Mbps -- is there any reason why you'd set it to 10 as opposed to 100 or 1000? Just curious.

By the way -- connections hasn't dropped...yet. :grin:

AW

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
As James says, a mis-wired cable will frequently work at 10mhz, but not at the faster speeds. It's more common than you think. :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Lower speed is more reliable with flaky cable; half duplex is more reliable than full in problem situations.

If your interface actually supports 1000 Mbps, this is Gigabit Ethernet, the newest and fastest standard that requires really good cables and connectors and a similar interface on the other end.

I would recommend that if things are stable at 10 Mbps Full Duplex, you then switch to 100 Mbps Full Duplex and see if things settle down. It is possible and does happen more often than you think that interfaces get confused when both sides are able to Auto Negotiate. If your connection is stable with 100 Full Duplex manually configured, I would leave it set to this rather than Auto Negotiate.

JamesO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The connection is still stable at 10...and I made an error - I don't have 1000, only 10 and 100 I believe.

Yet, I have noticed that download speeds, when downloading files, are a lot slower -- is this tied to the switching of the 10mbps connection?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yep, depending on your download speed, the 10 Mbps may be a restriction.

You might switch manually to 100 Mbps full duplex and see if your connection is stable.

JamesO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.