Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help.

I have a 1TB Samsung drive, which I use for storage. It recently, and without any warning, stopped working. I did not do anything strange or unusal with the disk or with my PC, apart from possibly doing a hard reset.

When I try to view anything on the drive:
"D:\ is not accessible
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Check Disk won't run on it, and Windows 7 can't see the size of the disk, or any info about it at all via my computer. Via disk management, it can see the main partition (931 GB). Acronis Disk Director can see the partition too, but since I haven't deleted the partition, Disk Director doesn't want to help (I guess it only recovers deleted partitions).

I ran a full and short test with Seatools, after booting from CD. The drive passed both tests without any problem.

Please help! :cry:

·
Registered
40,653 Posts
Via disk management, it can see the main partition (931 GB).
Go to Disk Management is the drive still listed there? Is the Disk listed as RAW mode, or is the file system Unallocated Space?
If you want to recover your files, you can use the free TestDisk I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Once your files are recovered, if the drive is RAW, you will need to Initialize, Partition and Format the drive in Disk Management to use it again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If getdataback can see the files on the drive, why can't windows? I backed my vital files up. But is there a way to just get the drive working and files visible again?

·
Registered
40,653 Posts
The file system has become corrupted. This is usually caused by a failure of the drive. or power anomaly, Be thankful you have gotten your data back. In most cases this may not happen.
If you want to test the HDD for it's integrity, download the WD DataLifeGuard for Windows from my signature and run it on the drive and do the short and long test. If either test fails, the drive needs to be replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.