Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime yesterday or today, my D: drive (CD) disappeared from "MY computer". I have no idea what happened or how to correct it.

I tried booting to the floppy repair disk but it says there is no CD on my computer and won't load to CD.

Any help you can give would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Jaimie

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have you tried loading it in safe mode and see if you accidentally uninstalled it?

I would do that and see if you are have a driver problem or something in that nature.

I would also go into the BIOS to see if it is disabled in there.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
What O/S are you running? There is an issue with W2K/XP that a registry setting will sometimes disable the CD. What appears in Device Manager, any error messages for the CD drive?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, I'm back. The CD drive reappeared on it's own for afew days and is now gone again.

I am running 98SE. I checked the device manager and don't see anything about a CD-rom there. I have looked at the bios but have no idea what I'm looking for. If someone could fill me in, I'll check again.

I thought that the CD drive was disabled in Safe mode anyway so I didn't try that route. I will give it a try right now and see what I can find.

Later....Ok, I tried Safe mode. The CD-rom shows in device manager but not in "My Computer"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhh!!!

Ok, so now it's back. It just re-appeared on it's own again.

?????? I think it's possessed or something.

:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I am at a total loss now. The drive is gone again.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I am ordering a new computer next week but would like to get this one going again.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Jaimie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.