Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting this messege when I try to shift files from one drive to another. It refuses to move the files saying cyclic data redundancy check has failed and the file cannot be moved. First I thought it was a problem with my old Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 120GB hard disk, But I got the same error ystrdy on my brand new 250GB barracuda.

Does this have a solution?
I an using WinXpsp2 which is updated till day before.
System specs: 915gav mobo with 3.2Ghz proc. 1.5GB RAM

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi rapchik...

are you transferring files between these two hard drives or just moving them about in one or the other?

This is usually a sign of some bad sectors on the hard drive. It may be an idea to run chkdsk on them:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
cmd
- Click OK
- At the flashing cursor type:
chkdsk /r /f c:
- Press Enter then Y then Enter then Y to confirm again
- Now reboot and let it scan...may take 10 minutes or so

If you're having the problem on a different partition, all you need to do is change the c for another drive letter i.e chkdsk /r /f d:

Hope that helps.

p.s - It may also be an idea to think about backing up any vital data just incase your hard drive is having issues....also, you could download the manafacturer's hard drive utility tool which you can use to run some checks on the drive.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Just to add to what Nickster said... CRC errors are pretty much when some 1s and 0s didn't get coded into the file on the new drive. That's when you can perform the check disk that Nickster told you to do. That can indicate a failing drive, or something could've been wrong with the file in the first place.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Nick,

the problem occurs every time I try to move the data, within the drive as well as to any other drives. I have four hard disk attached to my system three are SATA drives where as the fourth one is an Ide drive which is connected to the fourth SATA port using a IDE to SATA converter. The one which showed the problem was the oldest SATA drive, (the ATA drive connected thru the converter,is the oldest, and is working fine). Tried running check disk many a times but it does not show any bad sectors. even tries System Mech., Systemworks 2005 as well as diskkeeper but none shows any problem.

Please advice.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi rapchik...it's probably best to download the hard drive manafacturer's diagnostic tool which you will be able to make into a bootable cd/floppy and then perform some more exhaustive checks on the drives integrity.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think will do that, Have d/led the diagonistic prog from Seagate and will run it tonight.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cyclic Redundancy Check (trouble got worse)

Hi Nick,

The trouble got even worse. On running seatool, a diagonistic utility from Seagate, the disk showed some bad sectors. The problem now is that every subsequent check reveals an increase in the no of bad sectors. Sometime the disk just throws an error that "DELAYED WRITING TO THE DISK FAILED, DATA LOST" and then the disk just disappears form the computer. a restart bring the disk back on the list of drives but then the no of bad sectors increase and the data stored gets corrupted. Tried changing the sata port as well as checked all the cables. everything seems to be working fine, but the error keeps propping up every now and then. Is it something to do with the disk. Should I return the disk as its not even a month since I purchased the disk. The disk has three partitions and all the three partitions show the errors.

Kindly help.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Is this the only disk that has your data on it? If it is, I would get a back up program, one that will make an image of your drive and salvage whatever you can. Take it back to where ever you bought it and see if they'll return it. Once you get a new drive, put the OS on it and extract whatever data you can from the image.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi Brandon,

No this is one of four disks I have and this one too is full of data. Think will back it up and try and exchange it. Do you have any backup programme in mind which might be useful in such a scenerio.

Thanks.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Norton Ghost I believe will make an ISO image of your drive. That should be good. Can't recall any others off the top of my head. A Google search should reveal some.

Regards,

Brandon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.