Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I hook this switch up to a hard drive?

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088547.html

I know next to nothing about power supplies, but if my studying of Wikipedia is correct, this switch cuts the yellow (12 volt?) wire when it is off, but leaves both black (ground?) wires and the red (5 volt?) wire connected. So when the switch is off, I *think* it would still be supplying a hard drive with 5 volts.

Can I hook this to a hard drive? When I flip the switch, would the hard drive just be basically unplugged from the power supply (which is what I want) or would it be drawing insufficient current and die? Also, its likely that there could be a molex-to-sata power adapter hooked up between the switch and the hard drive if that matters.

And if anybody is curious as to what I'm doing, I want to boot multiple operating systems in my machine. I've got a huge case, lots of hard drives, a kilowatt power supply, and no patience for boot loaders. I want to make it so I can just flip these switches to decide which of my OS drives gets power and boots when I turn on my machine. And no, my BIOS unfortunately does not let me turn individual SATA ports on and off.

Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
should work for turning them off
but if it will pick up the correct boot path you will not know without trying

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think that with the 5 volts still connected, the logic circuits are still powered and the BIOS will still see the drive.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I would go along with Lead3's thinking. Boot loaders are not that time consuming. The wait time can be adjusted to make it quicker.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
it's the 5V line (feeds control circuit) that you need to disconnect.

disconnecting the 12V line could screw up the post test, would see it as failed drives, likely take longer to boot up. also an OS may lag/hang when it tries to interpret if the disconnected drives are working/available.

so...would need to rewire the connector as a 5V switch so the pc doesn't 'see' the drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.