Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--VIA - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
--Driver update for Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

I have these two as optional custom updates through microsoft but cant figure out for the life of me if i need them or what? It seems like i need the 1st 1 "Via" I have an Hp Pavillion a735w with a unicrome IGP(KM 400)(KN 400)? Which has something to do with VIA i believe?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ah okay, that was my second question i was going to ask? Ya see i tried going there but wasnt sure which os link to click? Theres windows xp which i have but whats xp embedded sp2? I have service pack 2. Is that what its asking? I dunno, so then i tried this microsoft update and went to custom to see if via chipset was an option to upgrade which it was, so i thought it would be easier for me. I had someone from via forums help but they gave me the wrong driver i will post a link to show you the driver he thought was my upgrade.
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=76191&enterthread=y

for now i did update through microsoft. Whats this other option for updating this pci thing? I didnt think i had pci?

·
Registered
142 Posts
hmm, well I am not totally sure, but as far as I know the embedded version of XP uses the same basic kernel, and so the drivers should be the same as standard XP , this seems to verify that http://msdn.microsoft.com/chats/transcripts/mobileembedded/06_0208_msdn_xp.aspx . the PCI thing sounds like a 56k modem, thats one thing that agere makes, and the term soft modem does seem to verify that. Even tho you may not have PCI slots , your internal devices still use a PCI bus.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes, it should not hurt anything, and it will probably make your device a little more stable, or less conflicting, with whatever the update fixed.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just didnt want to download anything i dont use, cuz my cpu is being loaded with unneccesary programs, and updates that use lotsa space when adding them up. How can i find out for sure if i need it or even use it rather? I just dont understand what i use this for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.