Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to use Google drive to share files between two computers, Win 7 and Win 10. It works mostly, but sometimes it screws up.

I am using an old version of Quicken (2001) to track finances, uisn two folders for different types of accounts in different institutions, Say Bank A and Bank B.

Sometimes it gets confused and puts the files from the Bank A folder in the bank B folder and vice versa. When that happens, Quicken cannot open the files. It is sometimes successful in validating the files, and opening them, but sometimes not. :banghead:

I can't imagine how the machine stores files except where ti got them from.

I know that theoretically I can share the files via the network, but only if the other machine is not sleeping.

I can share via dropbox, but that has not been entirely trouble free either.

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
You do not need to start a new thread for the same problem, you were being helped here, http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/google-drive-1107850.html please stay with that thread.
When you save a Quicken backup, you decide which folder and drive it goes to. By default, Quicken will list the last saved location as the Default save location. If that is not the folder you want to store it in, then browse to the folder you do want to save it in. If Quicken mixes up the folders, it is because you chose that folder.
If both computers are awake, and the folders are shared, you should have no problems saving files across a network, you do not need a third party application. The only reason to use Dropbox or Google drive, is if you want to access the files from computers that are not at the same location and not on the same network. If both computers are in the same location, then just wake them both up.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think this was the same problem, so therefore a new thread.

The problem isn't the location of the backup file but the normal working file. Every time you close Quicken, it stores the file at the same location you got it from, and the next time it gets it from the same place as last time,
but it started to mix up the folders and file names .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.