Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I try to backup my PC HD to a USB external drive using different software including Windows Explorer, I keep getting CRC errors on particular files.

I have performed a chkdsk C: /f to fix any corrupted files on the HD and the disk came up clean.

If I change the USB port on my PC, it seems to change the files that cause CRC problems. If I try to copy the offending files, they copy without any problem. So I can get around the problem by individually copying every file causing CRC errors...but that's enough to 'drive' me insane.

What seems so odd is that there is no apparent logic to the problem and it takes me a day to back up my data due to frequent CRC errors on files that turn out to be uncorrupted and perfectly copyable.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
CRC errors - could be caused by bad RAM modules or faulty hard drive (source or target drive).

Both possibilities can be checked out with free software. To test the RAM modules, use Memtest86 from here (requires creation of bootable CD from the downloaded ISO file): Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Test the external hard drive with the drive maker's Diagnostic Software for Windows. Links here: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

Test the internal system hard drive with the drive maker's Diagnostic Software for DOS (requires creation of bootable CD from the downloaded ISO file):
Links are on same page as above: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

To create a bootable CD from an ISO file, install & use IMGBurn from here:
Download ImgBurn 2.5.6.0 - FileHippo.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.