Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dell I8k and one day in a bored stupor I got the bright idea to take this baby apart and put it back together. Now she wont run. she shuts off right after turning on. Oh yeah did I mention I took the two memory chips out and put them back... I think I put them back in the same slots. I just wanted to learn all the parts to the thing. It really amazes me (not as much as how dumb I can be sometimes) but still shouldnt we know whats in these things. So now I ask you, how bad have I messed up. Its just a computer.... they sell them everyday... if i fried it, I fried it.
Its not like I forgot to put the landing gear down on a 747. I would like to fix it though, I find it very interesting and would be very grateful if I could get some starter tips to get me going, after all thats why we are all here right. This earth and forum... to teach all we can teach and learn all we can learn. Well at least thats what got me into this mess. This is what I have tried so far... 1. losened all the screws a bit. 2. tried a hard reset (i think), unplugged the ac. and took the bat out and held down the big button for 15 seconds. any more suggestions, thanks :dead:

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
How much of it did you take apart? Also, when you hit the power switch, do the fans come on and do the hard drive spin up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good question

tool the mon off and keyboard and took out cd drive and pcma slot. fans dont come on but the cd rom light blinks if i put in a cd
:confused:

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Check to make sure that the motherboard is getting power

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
ok, there is a cable leading from the power supply that should be plugged into the motherboard. If t isn't, then that would explain why no fans go on while your cd drive still comes on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hard drive spins up but fans dont come on
the power adapter is mounted right on the mother board and the only wires are going from the board to the fans

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
First of all don't freak out so much. It's not like you shot anyone. What you did is not that bad. You might have to remove the case again but what wires did you unhook for starters if your not sure what did the wires look like? Were any of them attached to the front of the case?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didnt really unhook any wires
just took out the hard drive and mem chips took off the display and keyboard. i can turn the thing on but as soon as the hard drive starts kickin it shuts down
wow did i say kickin cool....

·
929 Posts
Uhhhh Yea! Now this becomes the case of Curiosity Killed the Dell! :D Hummmm I've never had this Problem. You need to backtrace everything you have done and recheck all of your connections. I would retake it apart make lots of good notes and check all of the connections. I'm sure you'll find it was something you forgot to put back. Good Luck!

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
My version of hell is a room full of broken laptops that all need to be fixed on a dealine...

·
929 Posts
I know the feeling anytime someone brings one in at work thats broken my first suggestion is for them to buy a new one.:D

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Outsource!!!

We charge XX per hour on the bench, and send all laptops off to an idependent techie for about 60% of our rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.