Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a computer with the following specification:
AMD Sempron 3000, 512Mb RAM, 60GB Hard Drive. SiS M760GX 64Mb Graphics, Windows XP. Counter-Strike 1.6 and condition Zero both run fine but CS Source i'm having trouble with. At first the main menu was blank, i managed to fix this by forcing it to run Direct X 7, but in game play i get black spikey lines starting from the bottom left pointing towards the top right of the screen. It covers 80% of the screen, and player models when you select a character are multi-coloured. I've updated all my drivers including motherboard, graphics, and bios. And changed all settings to low with no luck. Is my graphics card compatible as i reach all the minimum requirements. Any help i would be most grateful.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Welcome to TSF, Rebellion.

It looks like you have artifacts, which indicate a damaged GPU. Given that you are using onboard graphics, I'd look at upgrading to a dedicated video card. If you tell us your motherboard brand and model (you can use Everest in my signature to find that out), we can recommend a suitable video card for you, if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
There is no way you will be running that on an onboard due to CSS needing suffiecient shader and graphical power and the Sis chip doesnt deliver that. You can upgrade to a Graphics card for under 50$ and then you will play CSS fine.

Please follow indorils suggestion and post the specs so we can advise you on some video cards.

In all cases, the fx5200 works fine, if you have PCI only then a 6200 or fx5700pci will do just fine.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, its a notebook, so i cant upgrade, it plays other games fine just no luck with source, would there be a reason why its damaged and how could you tell, i'm just curious? The graphics are terrible no doubt about it. I am looking to build my own machine in the near future when i'm settled as i just moved to Australia. Do you know any online stores either in Aussie or worldwide that will post with good cheap deals and parts, looking to build a AMD machine.

Thanks very much for the help!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Try www.umart.com.au and www.gamedude.com.au. There are a fair few others, but I've had good experience with Umart, so I'd go with them. You could get slightly cheaper prices from worldwide sites like www.tigerdirect.com (I think they ship worldwide, but not sure), but remember that shipping may not be included in the price.

The GPU ould be damaged from heat, use, age, etc. Artifacts usually indicate a damaged GPU.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry last question, will it be ok still to use or will it give up the go anytime soon, i've had the laptop nearlly a year. Thanks very much for all the help. Noticed your from queensland too, i used to live in the UK so i'm feeling not so good from all the heat oh well, sunshine coast for new year sounds good ;)

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
The laptop should be fine to use. If the artifacts are due to the GPU being damaged, you'll only really notice it in 3D gaming, so if you use it for work and surfing the net and such, it'll be fine. It may have no problems with other games as well - it kinda depends what mood it's in.

I can imagine how the warm weather must feel. Just be glad you're not in South Australia (my home state), where the temperature gets up to 42C in summer. :grin: Do you live on the Sunshine Coast now? I live in Bundaberg, about 3 hours north.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh not far, don't laugh, some aussies at london heathrow airport did 'gympie' only moved here to be with my fiancee but i must admit your country rocks!!! Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello Rebellion88, Really you need to upgrade your gfx card - 64mb is just a bit too low. Save up and buy a half decent one. I understand if money is a bit tight but theres no point having to spend more money in the future to play other games when you could just bite the bullet and spend a little bit more now.

Don't get too excited playing source, it still has too many bugs and 1.6 or even CZ plays better and smoother (not talking about the gfx, but the generally game play seems too clunky).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeh true i still really like 1.6, just moving country cost me a arm and leg but i'm going to build a dual core AMD machine soonish.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Rebellion88, Really you need to upgrade your gfx card - 64mb is just a bit too low. Save up and buy a half decent one. I understand if money is a bit tight but theres no point having to spend more money in the future to play other games when you could just bite the bullet and spend a little bit more now.

Don't get too excited playing source, it still has too many bugs and 1.6 or even CZ plays better and smoother (not talking about the gfx, but the generally game play seems too clunky).
I noticed you have a Celeron, i know there not great for gaming how does your one cope?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.