1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
System Specs:

Video Card: (Nvidia) XFX GEFORCE 9800GX2 1GB DDR3 PCI-E RETAIL
CPU: INTEL CORE 2 EXTREME QX9770 3.2GHZ 12MB 1333MHZ S-775
Memories: CORSAIR 2GB DOMINATOR DDR2 PC8888 XMS2-8888 FAN (4x)
Windows XP Pro.

Ive just bought Crysis to my brand new gaming computer and everything seemed to work, choosed the optimal system specs and started a game.

Everything went smooth, No lag and about 70-80 FPS, But after about 1-5 minutes the game "freezes", but the sound is still there. And if i minimize it which can get a bit hard, and the maximizes it again it MAY be working again(But still only for 1-5 min) but its not to often.
Ive tryed every patch, but still the same problem.
Any idea how to solve this? Im really pi$$ed of since i dont want to waste money on something that aint working.

All other games such as Turok, World in Conflict, Medal of honor.. Every game works great and no freezes.
Ive also tryed to change everythign to low and medium , but it still freezes after 1-5 minutes.

And also ive checked my graphic-cards temperature, it goes up to 62 during heavy load in Crysis and other games, When no-load its about
55-57. The only reason i could think of is the game or that Crysis aint patched yet to be played with my video card.
(I had the same problem with Medal of Honor Airborne if that helps, but it stopped when i downloaded the newest patch, which i already have on Crysis)

Halp :p

·
Hardware Team , Games Team
4,651 Posts
Your card is very capable of playing Crysis, but its still full of bugs.
Do the usual stuff.
Check for driver updates on your Motherboard, GPU, Sound Card, LAN ect....
Make sure your DirectX9 is up-to-date.
Make sure you have defraged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok ive checked, all my GPU drivers and all that is up to date, even DirectX.
But still the problem remains, but its a bit "less". Everytime the game freezes, i just have to press CTRL/ALT/DEL 20 times to make the game minimize, and when i maximize again, im at the menu, like if i pressed ESC once. So i just have to press esc "again" and continue playing, but since this happens every 5 min its really annoying.
Ive also recorded the GPU's temp. With Everest, It keeps about 60-65 depending on what im doing in Crysis, even during the time of the crash it keeps a steady 60-65 in temperature. Im getting really conefused, shall i try to reinstall the game?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe its just not compatible with my graphic card yet? I know some games has to be updated for that.
I also checked that "Can You Run It thing" on Crysis and they have to seem having issues "finding" it too.

They say my graphic card is far below minimum req. and that im recommended to buy a more powerful card like 8800's.
Also my CPU passess but it just sees "one" of my CPU's.
It seems to think that i only have one CPU at 3.2, the rest it doesnt seem to be able to "find"
Christ, maybe i have to wait for the patches. :p

·
4,651 Posts
Well amt im having the same problem except its not crashing just at times it runs below 20fps for no reason then it will shoot back up to 50fps (and sometimes freezes for 10sec then kicks back in) and the second level is quite unplayable.
I guess just like me you will have to wait for patch 1.3 to see if that give out any improvments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, ive just reinstalled my video drivers to test if it did any improvements. And yes it did, i can play on every spec set to medium without a single freeze now, which i couldnt before.
But still if i change everything to hi-spec, it'll freeze after some minutes often random, yesterday i got a totally grey/gray? screen, but i heard my footsteps when i walked around and i could shoot, and i also heard those koreans running after me shooting wild. Which means that im "still" ingame.
Also sometimes i freeze totally and just have to minimize and maximize again while pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL 30 times a row.
And sometimes when im trying to minimize the colours just goes nuts(Eg, Water goes red, Grass/leafs goes turquise/blue.. And then i have to restart my computer.
But what pissess me off, in post threads about the same problem, they say that some cards gets overheated on "high-spec" in Crysis and thats why it freezes, but since ive "recorded" its temperature during gameplay i know it aint overheated(Keeps a temperature about 60-65 depending on what im doing, which is a normal temperature which i have in the most games).
So there's actually no reason it should work better on Med-Spec then it does on Hi-Spec. And if it was something wrong with my graphic card, how come i can play the game really smooth the first 5-15 minutes?
If i find out that it crashes on med-spec, then id go nuts :p

·
4,651 Posts
Could you post a report on the temps, i have a hard time keeping the card under 75c when playing TF2..
However i have found a way to kind of stop the crashing. If you bump your cards fan speed to about 70%-80% it will stop the card hitting 80c. Crysis seems to crash on the 9800GX2 if the temps hit 80c-85c.
I can see the card Idling at 55c but not 60c on full load, you would have to of been playing in a freezer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
hehe, yesh i play in a freezer o_O dont everyone do that stuff? :p
o_O

Well it was my everest messed up when i first checked cause of my change of motherboard and reinstall of windows =O
And here ish the fixed temperatures..
Under no load its 50-52 and under heavy duty about 70-80, nice, anyone has some frozen french fries? =D It generates enough heath to roast a chicken.. :)

Thought the crashes have changed dramatically after i reinstalled the drivers *sigh*/To the worse. It just goes to a grey/gray screen, strangely the sound is still on, but all i can do is hit the restart button.
And the only thing that tells me about what happened is an error message on startup that tells me something about "Video Drivers"

And by the way, any tip on a program that can "dump" my fans speed? o_O

But since i got tired of that, i just recently updated to the latest forceware from.. hum .. Guru3D, if it works or not, i dont know hehe.. But i hope it'll fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay.. I updated to that forceware driver, still same problem.. Gray/Grey screen in about same amount of time.
Neither if i spin up the fans to 100% with Rivatuner or Expert Tool making it sound like a jet engine, doesn't solves the problem.
Sure the temps goes a bit lower, but after a while of game play it still freezes and after 3 freezes my graphic drivers goes nuts.
Seems like theres something wrong with my GPU fan?

·
4,651 Posts
Nah the fan is fine, it is a bit loud tho.. Since you put in the new motherboard whats XP been like, some times you are required to format and re-install especially if you go from an AMD to an Intel or visa versa.
But like i said im currently getting the same problem now for some reason, but i can get 10-20mins of play before i hit a BSOD in some rare cases other times i can bring the task manager up.
Im still awaiting some Beta drivers from Nv and the bad news from Crytek is they ain't building a patch 1.3. But i think they are doing something else like a mini series that may patch the game.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive just gotten a tip from XFX Support to test the 174.74 Drivers for my card(After 89 hours of waiting and whining :grin: ) maybe ish gets it working?
And also just got confirmed that it isnt hardware related , its the evul drivers, which was a great relief :tongue:
But still i want to play Crysis and other games without getting pissed and fysically kealing the card.
And also, Ive played a game called "Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy" Released about 5-6 years ago, not sure which. And that means that it aint pushing my card under heavy load, But still even if it takes longer time, about after 10 lovely hours of being AFK, *PLOPP* Video drivers crashing, Gray/Grey screen.. Yippie.. Dang ******* drivers. o_O

So now im gonna test the drivers =) And if they work better id update my post here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.