Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm trying to teach myself how to build my own computer after mine died on me. I had installed a new hard drive (maxtor, 30GB) on an old motherboard (ASUS P2L97). Obviously this was not a good idea. I will buy a new MB, memory, etc.. but would like to salvage this HD if possible.

Installing this HD as a slave in a different computer, with a master HD running Redhat 8.0 tells me that "unable to open /dev/hdd- unrecognized disk label" and "The OS thinks the geometry on /dev/hdd is 4092/16/63. Therefore, cylinder 1024 ends at 503.999 M".

Can anyone advise me on what to do? I don't mind losing the data on this HD. Is there a way to erase what's on there and start anew? If I simply plug it into a new MB, would this solve the problem, magically?

Thanks!

·
Citizen of the world
51,053 Posts
It sounds like it's not recognizing the data on the drive, probably understandable. If you pick up the disk tools from the Maxtor website, you can erase the entire drive with their diagnostic, that will certainly solve this issue. :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,053 Posts
It's their Diagnostics for the drives, it has an option to erase the disk. I believe it creates a boot floppy to do the deed. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.