Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 comps on a cross-over network. I had the network working b4 with ICS going also, I don't know what happened but now i cannot connect on network at all, ping other comp on network from either of the 2 computers or anything. When i checked the ips of the nic cards they both totally different one is 169.254.254.8 /subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and the other is 192.168.0.1 /subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (this one being the host computer with the internet connection.) When I try to repair connection on host computer it gives me an error messaging saying "The following steps of the repair operation failed: Purging the DNS Resolver cache. Please contact your network adminsitrator or ISP." on the other computer when I tell it to repair it says " The following steps of the repair operation have failed: renewing I.P. Address" Another thing, when I click on the LAN Connection on my host computer and check its properties, under the support tab where it list the ip address and subnet mask, under address type it says "manually configured" but on the other computer under address type it says "automatically configured" Both computers are running microsoft XP Home v2002 service pack 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated =)
-qball

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
To clarify, you have 2 computers that are connected by a crossover cable (no router, no hubs, no switches), and you are using ICS. Is this correct? Is DHCP enabled on ICS? Are you assigning static IP addresses?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To clarify, you have 2 computers that are connected by a crossover cable (no router, no hubs, no switches), and you are using ICS. Is this correct? Is DHCP enabled on ICS? Are you assigning static IP addresses?

2 computers connected by a cross-over cable, with no router hubs switches etc. Yes i am trying (lol) to use ICS. I am not quite sure if dhcp is enabled on ics? static means the ip never changes correct? they are static but I didn't assign. I was hoping someone could tell me how to assign ip's so i could just fix it like that? I'm not really sure what to do, I do know that no information is going across network at all, not one packet and i cannot ping the other comps so i'm not quite sure ics is affecting it yet, but i'm by far no expert at all on the subject, not even close so if u think it a problem with my ics and not the network itself plz go on =) thank u for ur speedy reply also

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
The one that has the 192.168.0.1 address is the ICS server, the other one apparently can't find the DHCP server, which is the ICS machine. Have you checked the cable connections, that's the most frequent cause of the 169.254.x.x address coming up.

T

·
0 Posts
You should just get a router, they are cheap in price 1/2 to a 1/3 what you would have paid 2 years ago...plus a lot less headache plus future expansion , they have wireless ( that can be turned off if not used ). Also you do not need both pcs on in, like in ics . recommend Linksys. I know this may be viewed as taking the easy way out and it is .

T

·
0 Posts
i would like to change the recommendation to netgear

plus most routers have built in firewalls, most have 2,... NAT and SPI

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank u for all ur replies =) still can't get it working, sorry for not replying as i should have but i've been out of town. unfortuantely a router won't work for me.... i have no money lol. ty 4 ur advice
-qball

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
johnwill said:
The one that has the 192.168.0.1 address is the ICS server, the other one apparently can't find the DHCP server, which is the ICS machine. Have you checked the cable connections, that's the most frequent cause of the 169.254.x.x address coming up.

u say check the cable connection, i don't quite understand what u mean by that? check the i.p.? the i.p. for the cable starts with 78. . I didn't notice now that under the cable connection status box, where it says address type: it says assigned by dhcp, i'm not quite sure but i don't remember that being there b4, is it possible that i changed that setting and that is what is messing up the network? but also i can't get the computers to talk at all, can't get a ping to the other comp or nething although i had it working b4. do you think its possible that a microsoft update caused the problem, because thats the only changes that were made to the computers at all and then after it was turned off and back on they would no longer connect. it is also not the newer updates from microsoft but old ones because i had just formatted both computers and reinstalled windows like the day b4 i had setup the network do you think that could have possibly caused the problem?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Since the one comptuer accesses the Internet, obviously the cable connection is fine, DON'T change settings there.

The "cable" I'm referring to is the wire between the computers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.