Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, so bear with. Built new system around Asus P4c800-e deluxe w/ RAID 0 Raptors, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9800 pro, Plextor DVD/RW and Plextor CD/RW. System works fine...had to manually install creative software - XP SPI with all updates refuses to recognize that it is installed...attempts to make me install it at every boot, use creative drivers in both CD and DVD, refuses to find drivers. What is up?

I do know software and programming, but Windows baffles me at times. Anyone help with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm.....

I don't think this is a Windows problem so much as it's a SoundBlaster problem. Y'see, Soundblaster cards are infamous for not allowing any other installed app to use IRQ 10.

I had this problem when I first installed by SB Live! Value card on my MSI mobo which had a built in Sound Chip. The solution was to first uninstall the card and remove it from the motherboard. Boot the PC and go into the BIOS. Disable the onboard sound chip then EXIT and SAVE. Reboot the PC (you'll have no sound, but that's ok). Power it off and re-install the Sound Card.

That worked for me anyways...

·
Registered
14 Posts
vnesheim said:
Thanks, I'll give it a try...

V
Sure, I just hope you know what you're doing if you're going to tamper with the BIOS... Guess I should've mentioned that too.

If you have the MOBO's user guide, that would help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am BIOS compatible. I learned a lot putting this together. My last build was a PIII-733, also on an ASUS board - it was cutting edge when I built it, so that tells you how long ago since my last build. Cute thing about ASUS install manual...nowhere does it tell you that a floppy with INTEL drivers is required to install the RAID controller for on board. Without that, no joy installing ANYTHING! Good learning experience, though.

I've already flashed the bios to most recent update and had to reset everything to my settings.

Thanks for the tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.